• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

making fruit preserves with liqueur

maxmillan

I've made freezer blackberry jam with Contreau and, WOW, it is good. I've made blueberry freezer jam with ice wine and it was only okay.

It was suggested that I make blueberry jam with Limencello. I was considering Cassis. Which Cassis would you recommend? Are there any other liqueur suggestions for blueberry (White Cacoa possibly?)

I also have strawberries, cherries, raspberries and peaches in the freezer. I want to make them into preserves with liqueurs as well. Any suggestions? I plan to make them all into freezer jams to give away for Christmas.

My other question is, what do I do with the remaining liqueur since I don't drink? I like to make desserts with liqueur.

Thanks!

Edited by maxmillan (log)

For your peaches, you might want to consider something I did with apricots... I shredded a large hand of ginger and macerated it with ginger brandy which was added with a dozen pounds of apricots.

I don't see why peach/ginger wouldn't be just as lovely as apricot/ginger and it has been a great base for poultry as well as a charming condiment for scones.

I am also reminded of a company that used to sell at the Renaissance Faire called Creature Confits. They made the most amazing Blackberry Cabernet, Plum Brandy, and Cherry Armangac jellies. I really miss them and am curious where they went...

I put up strawberrys with godiva chocolate liquour...I can them, and use a little extra pectin as the alcohol tends to make them too soft for my taste.

a friend does the same with peaches and ameretto (sp) and it's really good.

I'm all for ginger, especially with the peaches, but can't think of an additional flavor that would work...

I put up strawberrys with godiva chocolate liquour...I can them, and use a little extra pectin as the alcohol tends to make them too soft for my taste.

a friend does the same with peaches and ameretto (sp) and it's really good.

I'm all for ginger, especially with the peaches, but can't think of an additional flavor that would work...

Raspberry goes especially well with peaches, but I've found that Chambord is too "cough-medicine-y" for me. Maybe a flavoured vodka, instead?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Another vote for amaretto with peaches. I've had it, and it's looooooooovely.

Frangelico would have to be good with something, since it's hazelnut. I would think that either strawberries or peaches would be a good candidate.

Tuaca might be good with strawberries, too.

I've made freezer blackberry jam with Contreau and, WOW, it is good.  I've made blueberry freezer jam with ice wine and it was only okay.

It was suggested that I make blueberry jam with Limencello.  I was considering Cassis.  Which Cassis would you recommend?  Are there any other liqueur suggestions for blueberry (White Cacoa possibly?)

I also have strawberries, cherries, raspberries and peaches in the freezer.  I want to make them into preserves with liqueurs as well.  Any suggestions?  I plan to make them all into freezer jams to give away for Christmas.

My other question is, what do I do with the remaining liqueur since I don't drink?  I like to make desserts with liqueur.

Thanks!

I've enjoyed tequila with blueberries alot. For the overage problem... I buy those little nips of fancy booze (Grand Marnier etc). They're usually just the right amount for cooking.

Hmmm, the peaches and amaretto is going to be my next attempt. I'm not a fan of peaches/apricot and ginger. However, since I have Chambord, I will try a small batch on the peaches, too.

I've made raspberry with Chambord and Cassis and it worked out well.

I have also tried blueberry with the above just for fun.

The Godiva chocolate (white and dark) is also a consideration.

On the list is also lychee liqueur.

The overall winner for me is still Contreau and blackberry.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Blueberries are surprisingly good with Maraschino.

Marmalade with whisky is great.

Apricots with Amaretto are fantastic.

Strawberries with Gin, definitely.

Peaches with Brandy, or Grand Marnier.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday