• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dressed to Ingest

maggiethecat

The September issue of Vogue weighs as much as a good- sized brisket, but offers way more avenues to fastasy than the average brisket. Pencil pants and pencil skirts are de riguer, as well as Marie-Antoinette inspired couture and some seriously bondage/origami stuff from Japan. And when you read the price of that one Donna Karan or Marni or Balenciaga numero that you might actually be able to carry off and wear, the price tag, prorated anuually into weekly meals at Robuchon, Alinea or Ducasse would see you into 2012.

But while I longed for them, I tried to imagine taking them out for dinner. Granted, the models, socialites and movie stars clicked in Vogue are probably not the voluptuaries at the table that eGullet members are. But they go to swell events, party late, drink top shelf stuff -not like moi. Piggy that I am, I'm not sending a $10,000 gown to the cleaners becuase I dripped pizza jiuce down the decolletage.

So I started thinking about clothing for gourmands. Every right-cooking man I know has a closet full of cotten mesh polos painted forever with grease stains. I drape an old tablecloth over my chest (when I remember!) to eat stone fruit. Plum juice never comes out in the wash. A skirt with a tight waistband might have to be unhooked after a blowout at Nuevo Lean or Frontera Grill. I thought I'd bactracked to the obvious when I recollected that a little black dress, or a dinner jacket hide the splotch, but my husband maintains that a brown Harris tweed sportscoat provides better cover.

Ah, the waisband issue. Juicy Couture sweats would keep you comfy and chic, as would a pair of Fish Pants, with an elastic waist. I think eating in the nude is nasty and tacky, unless you're licking cavair from your girlfriends navel. As there are fashion categories: Evening, Resort, Tarty Trophy , sushi and French Laundry? What looks good, wears well, hides the stains and provides tummy space?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

What became of the tent dress? Preferably in a dark print.:biggrin:

Almost any dress works, as dresses don't really have waistbands. I have a lot of little black dresses: the key's finding cotton, machine-washable versions.

Oh, and bag stockings entirely, at least the sort that have a waistband.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Or expanding / adjustable waistbands and lots of bright colours.

Which is why Indian clothes work best with Indian food.

(Almost infinite room to expand / contract in saris, salwar-kameezes,

dhotis, pajamas, etc.; and drip away, you can't tell whether

the turmeric and saffron coloured blobs on the outfit came

from the cook or the dyer ! )

:biggrin:

Milagai

What became of the tent dress? Preferably in a dark print.:biggrin:

Almost any dress works, as dresses don't really have waistbands. I have a lot of little black dresses: the key's finding cotton, machine-washable versions.

Oh, and bag stockings entirely, at least the sort that have a waistband.

The problem I have always had with the l.b.d. is that while the grease spot stays black, the rest of the thing tends to fade, so you end up with a little charcoal dress with black spots. :hmmm: Too right about the panty hose! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I never go out without my lot of dining helmets. Formal, uptown, bistro, mom and pop diner. You can never tell for sure what headgear you might need.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

Norma Kamali for Everlast has some nice stuff this season. I also love Diane von Furstenburg for her high waisted 4 hour dinner dresses. I must be very comfortable at the table otherwise I become a petulant child :wacko:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Maggie, I gave up everything but shifts (wow, does that age me!) or elastic waists after my first pregnancy.

But for dining in style, I recommend ala bathing suit (busy print) in the water or on the dock at The Cabin. No need to worry about crumbs or grease.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I attended a restaurant opening last night, and had to think about this very issue. What could I wear that would still look decent after having red wine sloshed on it (from being jostled) or after having finger food dribbled on it? I settled on a black t-shirt and linen shirt. I treat black t-shirts as disposable, for the reason judiu mentioned above.

Jack, that's an excellent point about dinner jackets.

(Maggie, I had to throw away the t-shirt I wore to lunch at Nuevo Leon back in February. I think I spilled my taste of menudo on it. :laugh: It was worth it.)

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme