• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Even more notes

Florida Jim

2002 Terres Dorees (Brun), Beaujolais-Villages L’Ancien VV:

The funk is, indeed, gone but this bottle still shows very young and slightly disjointed with grapey flavors and aromas. Good now, better later. About $12 on release; I’d pay that again.

1999 Laderas de Pinoso, Alicante El Sequé:

Day one: this monastrell has dried out and the wood tannins are so overwhelming that the wine is all but undrinkable.

Day two: not as bad because the fruit is stronger but this is unbalanced.

About $20 on release; I’d not pay that again.

(This producer also has a lesser priced bottling (about $8) called Viñedos de El Sequé which I much prefer – apparently the lower price means less wood.)

2002 Bründlmayer, Grüner Veltliner Terrassen:

Not as thick as some wines from this producer but solid, authentic flavors and scents with lots of black pepper spice and mineral accents; fully integrated, beautifully balanced and a delicious and representative Grüner. Bought on sale for $8; I’d pay three times that again.

2004 Pepière, Muscadet:

Maybe bottle number 62 (well . . .); wonderful.

2001 Copain, Pinot Noir Dennison Vineyard:

From my favorite Anderson Valley vineyard; 14% alcohol; bright raspberry, red-fruit nose with spice and mineral accents and a freshness that is hard to describe; crisp and clean across the palate with ripe tannins, deep fruit flavors and an etched, layered profile; good balance, no heat, and very long. As good a pinot as I have had from California and every bit the equal of the better premier cru Chambolle producers in quality and complexity. A really superb wine with lots of development to come. About $42 on release and worth every penny of it and more.

2004 de Villaine, Bourgogne La Fortune:

Pretty much my ‘go to’ Bourgogne these days with a lightweight, brisk delivery of black fruit and some spice; nice balance and length. A fine ‘little’ Burgundy for $19; I’d pay that again.

1993 Vincent Arroyo, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve:

Ultimately, this bottle turned out to be slightly corked but upon first opening, it was clear evidence that California can make cabernet based wines that compete with the world’s finest; expansive nose with immense nuance and bottle bouquet; sweet fruit, layers of flavor and excellent depth – of course, little by little the TCA came to the fore – ah, for what might have been. $25 on release; I’d pay twice that again.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com