• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ on the Munchmobile

Rail Paul

The Star-Ledger's MunchMobile visited several BBQ joints for this week's article. Muncmobile is a team of reporters and guests who drive around the state in a truck with a huge hot dog on the roof, sampling various kinds of food.

Pies-on-Pizza in Lake Hopatcong. Liked the hush puppies. Had mountainous piles of meat, liked the sauce.

Joanne's Bar in Mine Hill. Liked the sauce and beans, were pretty pleased with the rest of the place. Thick ribs

Jack's Ribs in Long Branch. Potato salad was ordinary, ribs OK, sandwiches dried out.

Southern Home in Point Pleasant Beach. Ribs were OK, but they liked the fritters.

Pop's in Madison. Best in show. Like the apple smoked prime rib, cheese mac, ribs, pulled pork

Mom's in Roselle. awesome pork sandwich in a portuguese roll. beans in yellow rice. BBQ suace was garden variety.

Link wasn't up when I checked before.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail Paul; I read the same article as you and your descriptions were better

than theirs. Vey little in that story made me want to travel to any of those

places, after all we have Finks (with a/c) up here.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I read that article on nj.com as well today Rail Paul. I didnt want to post about it here though for fear as Rosie might get mad at me :biggrin:

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

I read that article on nj.com as well today Rail Paul.  I didnt want to post about it here though for fear as Rosie might get mad at me  :biggrin:

Boat Man--I don't discriminate. This is an open forum. Just don't use the F word on NJO. The F is for Food Bytes. It will get deleted as will any mention of eGullet. :shock:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I didn't realize the article also appeared on nj.com. The reference was only to the Ledger of course.

(What is nj.com, anyway?)

Double O - I just surfd the high points, didn't focus on the negatives, of which there were many among the joints.

There's a place in Somerville which I understand has great BBQ, don't recall the name...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Boat Man--I don't discriminate.

I was just joking with you Rosie.

Rail Paul

(What is nj.com, anyway?)

www.nj.com. Has a ton of information about NJ. Has a search to search all the local papers in NJ as well. I use it daily for real eastate searches.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan