• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Recipe 4 Moto's "Fizzing & Foaming Hurricane"

skidude72

ok, the fruits of today's labors....

the final recipe...

i made a sour cherry syrup from mascerated cherries and a little water. 3oz

mix 1 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1/8tsp of Cream of Tartar into the cherry syrup, this goes into the glass (i didnt have a martini glass lying around, but the wine glass worked quite nice.)

take 1/4tsp of baking soda and mix it with just enough water for it to dissolve (less than 1/2oz). then mix in 1-1.5oz vodka. this goes into the shot glass.

pouring the contents of the shot glass into the martini glass slowly at first, then dump the remaining oz or so into there to get a nice vigorous foaming action.

Conclusion: nice vigorous foaming for approx. 10-15seconds, followed by 2-3minutes of a very hard petillance, followed by 7-10minutes of light petillance. i wwas very happy with the results and it is dramatic enough given the right setting. a high class dinner party-yes. for your drunken aunts cocktail-no.

a few notes i found along the way...

-baking soda is not alcohol solluable

-cherries are acidic, dont mix the baking soda in there

-wide mouth glasses give a MUCH MORE vigorous initial foam, the wine glass gave a more sudued vigorous foam, followed by more hard petillance

-when sipping, swirling the glass, this introduces more air, thus exciting the reaction

heres a video clip:

th_P8020020.jpg

and heres a pic: note that the residue on the bottom was excess COT, i reduced the amount and it dissolved completely the second try with no residue and the residue in the shot glass was the baking soda (the second time around, mixing the BS in water first then alcohol, yielded no residue):

P8020019.jpg

if i were serving this, which i would consider:

make a water/baking soda solution and the cherry syrup base before hand, then all u'd have to do is pour some voka in a shot glass, mix in the baking soda water and serve the two glasses. pretty easy actually, once i got the ratios down.

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

just a quick note for cdh,

I found that Sodium Citrate is a bioproduct of the sodium bicarbonate and acid reaction, where the sodium ion links up with the H+ ion in the acid. so it would work for this, obviously. though i know understand how it can be used as a pH stabilizer...

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

dj

Thanks... my chemistry is way too rusty now...

Looks like a good presentation. How much acid is left in the drink after the base does its work? Does it retain a good tartness?

Have you thought of adding a bit of powdered eggwhite to up the foam retention? I'd bet with some eggwhite in the mix, you'd get a great foamy head on the thing when you add the base.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

dj

Thanks... my chemistry is way too rusty now...

Looks like a good presentation.  How much acid is left in the drink after the base does its work?  Does it retain a good tartness?

Have you thought of adding a bit of powdered eggwhite to up the foam retention?  I'd bet with some eggwhite in the mix, you'd get a great foamy head on the thing when you add the base.

by the time you finish the drink, 8-10mins, everything is just finishing reacting so there is very little acid precipitate left in the glass. the acidity present to the taste really depeneds on what base you use. the cherry syrup had a nice acidity/sweetness, the drink was pleasant and if i didnt know what was in it/how it was done i woudnt suspect baking soda, there's no after taste.

as for foam, i stress this greatly WIDE mouth glasses promote more reaction. i was disappointed in the wine glass becuase it dulled the reaction, but when i had been doing it all day in a collins glass as practise the foam was so vigorous (due to more air reaction) that sevral times it was close to overshooting the tip of the glass. lots of foam. a martini glass is even wider so i suspect the reaction would be even nicer.

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois