• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Glasses

I used to buy my wine glasses from Royal Selangor in Bayview Village - They had Spigelau (SP?) glasses for about $10 a pop...which worked quite well for me...(I dont need to spend $80/glass for thin crystal that breaks when you dry it)

Unfortunetly, they closed down recently, and their only other location is all the way DT.

I was wondering if any of you know of any places (preferably mid town) that sell good quality Bordeaux glasses which are reasonably priced.

Cheers.

Crate and Barrel sells good, inexpensive wine glasses, though I don't think they have retail stores in Canada.

I've bought Spiegelau from Amazon. I believe they only have sets, no single glasses. They have good prices, free shipping, and I've never had a problem with broken glasses during shipment.

Pottery Barn carries Spiegelau. They have many locations in the GTA. Prices are pretty good and you can catch a sale. BTW, Riedel bought Spiegelau a few years back and I am surprised they have kept both lines for so long - I thought Spiegelau would fade away. I like Spiegelau for every day stuff but the Riedel S series are great and if I could affort them I would use them every day. Just the big burg and vintage champagne in those.

officially left egullet....

A few monhs ago I bought a set of 8 large Bordeaux glasses (they are as big as some water glasses) under the Kirkland name at Costco, lead crystal, made in Austria, at about $30.

They are not on the shelf now, but there is a smaller, bowl shaped Burgundy set of 8 from the same factory, being cleared at $20 the set.

The Bordeaux glass was a steal, and I'll get another box if they bring it back.

• 3 weeks later...