• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worth the wait?

Mummer

Yesterday's Inky says people accept a two hour wait for chain food.

Suburban dining: First you wait

I'm reminded of the old joke Woody Allen used in an early film -

The food here is terrible!

Yes, and such small portions.

While almost all of us had that half-hour wait at the bar take 90 minutes, who finds this necessary (or acceptable?) I live in the 'burbs, but I couldn't tell you the last time I dined at a mall.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Which mall? What restaurant?

I don't think I have EVER waited 2 hours for any meal. And especially not at a mall. I'm not a mall shopper, but maybe the people go and sign up and then shop during the waiting time. Some people love to shop at the mall, and that might work for them. They wouldn't actually be standing there waiting, and they probably wanted to shop anyway.

Eileen

edited to add this: Why would anyone want to wait 2 hours to eat? What mall restaurant food could be that good? In that amount of time the parent(s) can whip up a delicious fresh meal, eat, and clean up, then sit and relax with the kids. Doesn't make sense to me.

et

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes. Either I have a reservation: then 10 minutes is about the limit of my patience, or I do not: then I have myself to blame and would go elsewhere.

Of course, if people put up with this, they deserve no better.

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

While almost all of us had that half-hour wait at the bar take 90 minutes, who finds this necessary (or acceptable?) 

Evidently the sort of people who like to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

No doubt many of them would find throwing down $100 for dinner at Studiokitchen to be incomprehensible and ridiculous...

Yup... sounds about right to me. My husband asks to go to the local Longhorn for his birthday every year (actually, he asks to go there no matter what the occasion, come to think of it...) and we have never waited less than 45 minutes to be seated. We accept this because we can usually get a seat at the bar and have a giant beer. We only go a few times a year, it's his favorite, and I keep my orders simple enough that they can't really screw it up, so I don't complain.

On another occasion we went to Carraba's (sp?) with a group of 12. We called that morning to give them a head's up and we were told that a table would be waiting for us at 7:30. Nope. We weren't seated until 8:40... I think. I can't remember the exact amount of time that passed, but it was far to long for shitty food. No apologies. No gratis. Nada. The bar was packed so we ended up standing outside chatting the whole time. We couldn't even squeeze in to get a drink. The funny part was, I was the only one bitching. No one else batted an eyelash. I was hostile and they were just like, "Eh... yeah. We usually have to wait."

Are there other options available? For Italian, yes, and better than you can get at a chain... but for steaks, not really. Not at a reasonable price anyway.

I guess I don't really have a point. People that frequent these places seem to know that they're gonna have to wait and they're prepared for it.

i really try not to judge too much, i really do. i just find this incomprehensible. for instance, you can go to the king of prussia mall and wait like two hours for cheesecake factory, or you can go across the street to desi village and have good indian food, pretty much right away.

is it that part of the thing IS the wait? that it becomes a night out?

You like the Cheesecake Factory, you wait at the Cheesecake Factory. I mean, I don't see any difference between waiting there and waiting at Dmitri's, or Chloe, or Melograno, all of which I've done.

I wouldn't wait at the Cheesecake Factory, but then, I've eaten there, and wouldn't want to return. Even if there wasn't a line.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

OK, I admit to have had a few dinners at the Cheesecake factory in KOP, but have never waited for more than 15 minutes.

Usually, you can find a seat in the bar area almost immediately, where they serve the full menu (maybe I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag :unsure: ). And if the wait is more than 15-20 minutes, there are plenty of good places and Cheesecake factory now has curb-side takeout service too.

I read the article in disbelief. No place is worth waiting an hour much less two. I have never eaten at a Cheesecake Factory although I have had the opportunity.

On a very rainy Saturday night we stopped at the new Smokey Bones in front of Oxford Valley Mall. We were hungry and we are willing to try any rib place once. The wait was an hour. We departed quietly.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I read the article in disbelief. No place is worth waiting an hour much less two.

Again, I just don't know if I agree. I mean, if you're not in a hurry or starving and there's a nice bar across the street-- let's call it "The New Wave Cafe"-- an hour's wait isn't so bad. If there's an hour wait at Chloe, you go walk around Old City, maybe go shopping for used books or CDs or something. What's the matter with that?

Ideally, then, the Cheesecake Factory would call your cell (as PF Changs does); in the meantime, you go wander around the mall and buy a few pairs of Dockers or go to Spencer Gifts or whatever.

Of course, I suspect that most of these restaurants aren't in a hurry to adopt the cell-phone practice: better to keep the folks at the bar, drinking. But that's something else....

I'm with Percy. As infrequently as I've made it to Cheesecake Factory, I stolidly refuse to wait. Either they can seat me in the bar right away, and I'm happy to eat at the bar, or not.

Not all places (let's call our example Dmitri's) have the luxury of having the de facto "waiting room" with a full service bar right across the street. But it does work well when it works. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, I came in here to present my insightful observation that Cheesecake Factory is the reigning king of the long wait. I've been beaten to the punch!

Admittedly, I've only eaten at a Cheesecake Factory once, and that was for a quick hangover lunch in Las Vegas, but the Nashville Cheesecake Factory -- admittedly, relatively new -- regularly has a 2 hour wait, and sometimes a 2.5 hour wait. Within walking distance are two good local restaurants, either of which could probably seat you immediately, and one of which would offer outstandingly good cuisine (the other's a bistro -- that's where you go if you wanted a burger and a rich dessert to begin with).

Why do you think people are willing to wait two hours for Cheesecake Factory? I would be very hard pressed to agree to wait two hours for freakin' Robuchon.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Why do you think people are willing to wait two hours for Cheesecake Factory?  I would be very hard pressed to agree to wait two hours for freakin' Robuchon.

I live in KoP and have eaten at the cheesecake factory about 4 times. We usually don't go because of the long wait involved, which is on avg. about 80 minutes. Why go at all? I think the food is actually good. I have only been disappointed by the fish tacos, which I would not order again. But their avocado eggrolls are pretty durn good, much better than I've had anywhere else. For a chain, this is about as good as it gets. Outback Steakhouse does pretty well with its food quality, but the selection there is not terrific. At Cheesecake Factory, you have the biggest selection of food I've ever seen anywhere, which is great for diverse diners, or if not sure wat you're in the mood for. And not that I'm a big eater, but the typical American diner likes whopping portions, which is what you get there. Plus the atmosphere is very nice, and servers informed and pleasant.

More importantly, if you live in KoP and don't like Indian, you don't have a heck of alot of choice besides a chain. We drive in to the city to get our special dinners, but 76 can be quite a deterrant (sp?) at dinner time. So that's why people go to the Cheesecake Factory. And wait. You have the mall to walk around while you wait, so you plan on going about an hour before you know you'll want to eat, and everything works out. Doesn't work if you feel like going out on a whim.

On a related KoP thought, the Bahama Breeze (by the movies in the mall complex) is a very nice place to eat. Not too casual, great food, decent drinks, Aruban beer. I'm not sure if this is a chain or not, but I've never seen another one in my travels. The food is fresh and well prepared, with a varied menu that's not drastically expensive. The wait factor comes in again though...usually at least an hour, more on weekends.

I think there's just not alot of great food in KoP, so people find it worth waiting for the good stuff. But I'm moving to NYC in a few weeks, so my horizons are expanding exponentially...

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Why do you think people are willing to wait two hours for Cheesecake Factory?  I would be very hard pressed to agree to wait two hours for freakin' Robuchon.

At Cheesecake Factory, you have the biggest selection of food I've ever seen anywhere, which is great for diverse diners, or if not sure wat you're in the mood for. And not that I'm a big eater, but the typical American diner likes whopping portions, which is what you get there.

Prepare for soapbox ... :biggrin:

I know this thread is about waiting for service, but since the Cheesecake Factory has come up so much, I'd like to offer a thought or two.

1) I thought the menu was HORRENDOUSLY huge. In typical American fashion, instead of offering a concise, well thought out menu, they offer a myriad of ways for preparing a single ingredient (like chicken breast), none of which are very stellar -- I mean seriously, you need how many pages of a menu to describe JUST the appetizers?

2) I just don't understand this American obsession with getting huge amounts of mediocre food and then charging you $18 a plate for the experience. Cheesecake Factory isn't alone in this, but when the first words out of the servers mouth are, "The portions here are huge," it doesn't bode well for the establishment.

However, why anyone would wait for a table at the Cheesecake Factory is beyond me. It seems to me to be the best example of how bad the American chain restaurant experience can be.

As for the waiting, I suppose my tolerance depends on the situation. If I've made reservations at a restaurant, I expect to be seated within ten minutes of pre-arranged reservation time. If I show up at a restaurant sans reservations (or at a place that doesn't take reservations), I'll usually make the call on the spot -- but I don't think I'd ever wait more than 30 minutes.

OK, done ranting now. :raz:

End of soapbox.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

While almost all of us had that half-hour wait at the bar take 90 minutes, who finds this necessary (or acceptable?) 

Evidently the sort of people who like to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

No doubt many of them would find throwing down $100 for dinner at Studiokitchen to be incomprehensible and ridiculous...

Um....I totally waited for about two hours at Lupa the other night. Of course, we were told 40 minutes when the wait began. Oops.

Not exactly a mall place, and the Village is DEFINITELY not the suburbs.

So while I don't understand waiting for mediocre food, I do understand waiting for some things. Especially with a glass of wine. Yum!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

At Cheesecake Factory, you have the biggest selection of food I've ever seen anywhere, which is great for diverse diners, or if not sure wat you're in the mood for. And not that I'm a big eater, but the typical American diner likes whopping portions, which is what you get there.

Prepare for soapbox ... :biggrin:

I know this thread is about waiting for service, but since the Cheesecake Factory has come up so much, I'd like to offer a thought or two.

1) I thought the menu was HORRENDOUSLY huge. In typical American fashion, instead of offering a concise, well thought out menu, they offer a myriad of ways for preparing a single ingredient (like chicken breast), none of which are very stellar -- I mean seriously, you need how many pages of a menu to describe JUST the appetizers?

2) I just don't understand this American obsession with getting huge amounts of mediocre food and then charging you $18 a plate for the experience. Cheesecake Factory isn't alone in this, but when the first words out of the servers mouth are, "The portions here are huge," it doesn't bode well for the establishment.

However, why anyone would wait for a table at the Cheesecake Factory is beyond me. It seems to me to be the best example of how bad the American chain restaurant experience can be.

As for the waiting, I suppose my tolerance depends on the situation. If I've made reservations at a restaurant, I expect to be seated within ten minutes of pre-arranged reservation time. If I show up at a restaurant sans reservations (or at a place that doesn't take reservations), I'll usually make the call on the spot -- but I don't think I'd ever wait more than 30 minutes.

OK, done ranting now. :raz:

End of soapbox.

Amen. You saved me the time to write the same. The most unbelieveable wait for a chain I have ever seen is Olive Garden in Times Square. People line up outside the doors for blocks. It blows my mind with so many awesome restaurants in NYC. I'll never understand American's fascination with large portions of average, uninspired, boring food. If I can make it better at home, I ain't eating there period.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

It makes me wonder ... is a place like the Olive Garden in Times Square frequented more often from tourists or natives?

I can say without a doubt tourists. The reason it is so busy in my opinion is that there is a comfort factor for out of towners. Even though OG is more expensive in NYC than other places it is still considered affordable and not scary for tourists. It comes down to a comfort level, TGIFridays the same. My opinion is the food is crap and not worth one dollar. I'd rather eat at a hot dog cart than bother with the chain restaurants but I think I am in the minority obviously seeing how successful these are everywhere. American's just don't get food I think. Hey that's why we are the fattest nation is the country.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

I honestly believe most Americans (at least the ones I know) just don't care. They don't care about the quality of their ingredients. They don't care about the authenticity of the ingredients. I think as a society we have been conditioned not to question anything -- including the rationality of waiting two hours for a table at a chain restaurant. Mediocrity is king. :angry:

Speaking of OG ... it had been quite a long time since I had been to one. My grandfather decided he wanted "Italian" and suggested we go there. No wait, thankfully, but I soon was reminded of why I don't frequent the place.

Salad is served. "You want cheese on that?"

Soup is served. "You want cheese on that?"

Breadsticks with marinara dipping sauce are served. "You want cheese on that?"

Pasta is served. "You want cheese on that?"

I surmise you could probably order a plate of cheese and the server would actually ask you, "You want cheese on that?"

Cheese is good. Just not on everything.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

More importantly, if you live in KoP and don't like Indian, you don't have a heck of alot of choice besides a chain.  We drive in to the city to get our special dinners, but 76 can be quite a deterrant (sp?) at dinner time.

(runs into closet and strips down to SEPTAman uniform)

Wish I had encountered you sooner, before you moved to NYC.

After you've braved the traffic and paid to park your car in town, you could have saved yourself time, hassle and probably money too (depending on how large your party was) by parking at Wayne or Paoli and taking the R5 into town or heading to Norristown Transportation Center and taking the R6 from there. Granted, if your were planning to make a late night of it, this might not work, as your coach would turn into a pumpkin right around midnight--but if you parked at Norristown, you would have the backup option of the El (or night owl shuttle bus) to 69th Street and the Route 100 from there.

So that's why people go to the Cheesecake Factory.  And wait.  You have the mall to walk around while you wait, so you plan on going about an hour before you know you'll want to eat, and everything works out.  Doesn't work if you feel like going out on a whim.

Being able to go out on a whim and not have to wait forever for mediocre food (or good food, for that matter) is still one of the nice things about living in Center City.

On a related KoP thought, the Bahama Breeze (by the movies in the mall complex) is a very nice place to eat.  Not too casual, great food, decent drinks, Aruban beer.  I'm not sure if this is a chain or not, but I've never seen another one in my travels.  The food is fresh and well prepared, with a varied menu that's not drastically expensive.  The wait factor comes in again though...usually at least an hour, more on weekends.

Oh, the architecture of that place sure looks to me like it's a chain.

And sure enough, it is.

I think there's just not alot of great food in KoP, so people find it worth waiting for the good stuff.  But I'm moving to NYC in a few weeks, so my horizons are expanding exponentially...

I hope your job pays you very well.

Otherwise, you may as well have simply moved into Center City and endured the very long commute, as it seems a small but growing number of New Yorkers are now doing. Your horizons would have expanded by a similar margin, if only because you wouldn't have to worry about braving traffic, parking your car, or even catching the last R5 to Paoli.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

i agree with the "comfort factor". herd mentality comes into play, as well. it takes a little thought to go to the olive tree grill (great greek food in downingtown) vs. the no-brainer for the masses of going to the olive garden.

on the plus side, while the masses are waiting for 2 hours to get into the chains, the rest of us aren't having too much of a problem getting a reservation at a great non-chain place.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

i agree with the "comfort factor".  herd mentality comes into play, as well.  it takes a little thought to go to the olive tree grill (great greek food in downingtown) vs. the no-brainer for the masses of going to the olive garden.

on the plus side, while the masses are waiting for 2 hours to get into the chains, the rest of us aren't having too much of a problem getting a reservation at a great non-chain place.

Ignorance is bliss! Let em wait. I'll be enjoying dinner along with you at one of the wonderful restaurants that bless us here in Phila and NYC!

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

I don't think it is necessarily that people don't know any better. Some people actually like places like Olive Garden and Cheesecake factory. I have a friend who waxes eloquent about her latest meal at Olive Garden. She frequently mentions craving a particular dish from OG. I can't understand it at all. I went once out of curiosity, thinking "how bad could it be?" Well, I found out it could be horrendously bad. I don't know if it can be attributed to unsophisticated palates or just plain different taste, but for a lot of people, a meal at one of these chains is a positive culinary experience, not just stuffing food in their mouths because they don't care.

Add this to the comfort factor and the fact that the vast majority of people are not adventurous eaters, and you've got a lot of folks who are willing to wait.

I don't think it is necessarily that people don't know any better.  Some people actually like  places like Olive Garden and Cheesecake factory.  I have a friend who waxes eloquent about her latest meal at Olive Garden.  She frequently mentions craving a particular dish from OG.  I can't understand it at all.  I went once out of curiosity, thinking "how bad could it be?"  Well, I found out it could be horrendously bad.  I don't know if it can be attributed to unsophisticated palates or just plain different taste, but for a lot of people, a meal at one of these chains is a positive culinary experience, not just stuffing food in their mouths because they don't care.

Add this to the comfort factor and the fact that the vast majority of people are not adventurous eaters, and you've got a lot of folks who are willing to wait.

I guess my response to something like this is that this person could use some education.

But I will grant that some people just don't want to venture beyond their comfort zones.

Nonetheless, having established that the diner in question likes Italian food, it should be possible to get her to a place where she can experience good Italian fare.

Edited to add:

--Sandy, suddenly realizing that his current (7/19/06) .sig quote is actually germane to this discussion

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3