• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Black Tot Day" approaches.

July 31st is "Black Tot Day" - commemorating the day in 1970 when, at 6 bells in the forenoon watch, the last rum ration was served to sailors of Her Majesty's Navy.

I would be profoundly disappointed all of you who are involved in this forum if you dont commemorate it in some way, with something rummy - a dish, a new drink, breaking out a special bottle ....

Post your ideas please!

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I shall have me a shot of Pussers Admiral Nelson.

Exceedingly appropriate. No wussy lime juice or water, Huh?

Happy Feasting

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

I'll celebrate a day that will live in infamy with a pitcher of Bacardis.

In 1914 my English Grandfather stole his brother's long trousers and joined His Majesty's Navy. Shipboard food was short for a growing boy, so he traded his rum ration for food. He used to talk about Pepper Soup, which was, you guessed it, water and pepper. I believe that his malnutrition in his teens wrecked his health forever. The effin' Great War.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I don't water down me grog, matey.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I don't water down me grog, matey.

You really should - at least on August 21st, to "celebrate" the day in 1740 that Admiral Vernon "Grog" ordered the rum ration watered down. Or will you still drink yours neat, as a matter of rebellion? They might hang you from the yardarm, or scuttle your uppers or something awful.

Happy Feasting

You really should - at least on August 21st, to "celebrate" the day in 1740 that Admiral Vernon "Grog" ordered the rum ration watered down. Or will you still drink yours neat, as a matter of rebellion? They might hang you from the yardarm, or scuttle your uppers or something awful.

I drink me rum neat, and I like me wenches dirty on this ship. Arrrrr!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I drink me rum neat, and I like me wenches dirty on this ship. Arrrrr!

Now you are really stepping out of line, Midshipman Jason. No wenches - whatever state of cleanliness - aboard ship. The ship herself is female, prone to fits of jealous rage, and will commit violent acts to get rid of any women aboard. You can have as many dirty wenches with your rum as you like, but only when ashore.

Now get back to serious discussion of the Rum Business.

Happy Feasting

Why, bless you Old Foodie!

I knew there was a reason I should purchase some Navy Rum.

This is a perfect excuse!

Arrrrr! Indeed!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Though I'm not a big fan of Pusser's British Navy rum, I'll be sure to have a dram or two on Black Tot Day. And to be sure I observe in earnest, I'll then have a shot or two of Cruzan Blackstrap Navy rum. Now THAT I like :smile:

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I'll have to call up some squid friends and make a date with them.

'Course, everyone knows the Army can drink the Navy under the table, so I feel sorry for the poor sots. But we'll try to make an evening of it.

But, sheesh, on a Monday? What the hell kind of idea was that?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

But, sheesh, on a Monday?  What the hell kind of idea was that?

July 31 was a Friday in 1970, so perhaps we could transfer the commemoration to the nearest Friday? Could your squid friends cope better if they had the weekend to recover, do you think?

Happy Feasting

No, they're Hash House Harriers. They'll cope, because they're expert copers.

Besides, we always need an excuse to bend the elbow at six bells on a Monday.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.