• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese and wine pairing suggestions needed

sadistick

Doing an anniversary dinner for the GF - she loves good cheese.

Need some suggestions for cheeses to match a '82 Lynch Bages.

Thank you.

You have an excellent estate and an excllent vintage so you want something that enhances the wine but still has a distinct flavor but somewhat mild finish.

Two suggestions: a Tete de Moine or a Le Moulis. Both have the body to stand up to a red, yet will not overwhelm the wine. My suggestion is the serve them with roasted cashews, fresh fig confit and lightly toasted, good quality bread.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I used to be somewhat of a contrarian on this topic but

recently there has been a lot of support from some folks with impressive credentials!

(certainly far more impressive than mine).

I would not serve cheese with a fine red Bordeaux.

(the Lynch is a really nice wine!).

Why?

The fats in most cheeses can dull the palate (they do mine).

Most red wine and cheese combinations leave the red wine tasting flat.

I realize there are a lot of people who swear by red wine and cheese.

maybe you are fine with red wine and cheese--it is your palate after all.

If I had to--I would opt for a dry hard cheese like parmesan or manchego

or pecorino.

My real recommendation would be to enjoy the wine by itself!

It is certainly that good and worthy of one's undivided attention!!!!

Doing an anniversary dinner for the GF - she loves good cheese.

Need some suggestions for cheeses to match a '82 Lynch Bages.

Thank you.

Go with a very good English Cheddar from Niel's Yard Dairy or an aged Manchego (some great ones in the cheese shops along the Danforth)

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Some great suggestions, thanks! Stephen, I was planning on going to Global cheese in Kensington market, they usually have a nice selection of Manchego's - Ill have to write these down.

Thanks.

Also - I posted on the special occaisions forum - But since you folks know a lot more about wine pairings than I, maybe I will inquire here as well.

Doing a tasting menu, so far I am gonna do:

Peaches and cream corn bisque with seranno ham

something with fava beans

insert idea here

Grapefruit ice

seared lamb on roasted root veggies

sliced duck breast on grilled white peaches and balsamic

insert idea here

cheese course

Still looking for a few more pairings which will match well with the wine, any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

-Justin

Some great suggestions, thanks!  Stephen, I was planning on going to Global cheese in Kensington market, they usually have a nice selection of Manchego's - Ill have to write these down.

Thanks.

Also - I posted on the special occaisions forum - But since you folks know a lot more about wine pairings than I, maybe I will inquire here as well.

Doing a tasting menu, so far I am gonna do:

Peaches and cream corn bisque with seranno ham

something with fava beans

Rich Californian Chardonnay

Grapefruit ice

seared lamb on roasted root veggies

sliced duck breast on grilled white peaches and balsamic

If it's hot outside look at a sparkling Shiraz from Australia or a nice Ontario Cabernet Franc for the lamb. A duck option could be a new world Pinot Noir (B.C., Oregon, or California)

cheese course

Still looking for a few more pairings which will match well with the wine, any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

-Justin

A couple of suggestions in red for you.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG