• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift for Foodie

If you had only 20-25 euro , what would you give a foodie. He loves food, cooks simple but tasty dishes, loves Jamie Oliver (but has both his books), has quite a lot of utensils (I actually wanted to give him an SE Asian ehm pounder made from rock but I found a terracotta-or something- version in the drawer) and quite a few cookbooks.

He prefers food over desserts (he nearly never makes any). BTW, I live in the Netherlands and so does he (my host dad!).

If you had only 20-25 euro , what would you give a foodie. He loves food, cooks simple but tasty dishes, loves Jamie Oliver (but has both his books), has quite a lot of utensils (I actually wanted to give him an SE Asian ehm pounder made from rock but I found a terracotta-or something- version in the drawer) and quite a few cookbooks.

He prefers food over desserts  (he nearly never makes any). BTW, I live in the Netherlands and so does he (my host dad!).

How about one of the 'new' micrograters? They come in 2-3 sizes & are great. Also fit within your budget.

A cookbook from a country that he hasn't already got "covered" - on the principle that you can never have too many cookbooks, and you can write something nice in the flyleaf.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

How about some fine quality ingredients?  Like good quality extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a selection of sea salts he might not buy for himself, etc.

I like this idea. Also: No foodie ever has enough kitchen towels or potholders -- throw in some new ones so he can throw away the dreary oldsters.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...