• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Ramsay Stings Celebrity Winemaker

Rebel Rose

Chef Ramsay Stings Celebrity Winemaker

Singer-turned-winemaker Cliff Richard has been duped into slamming his own wine as 'tainted and insipid' on a TV programme. Richard's nemesis was the outspoken super-chef Gordon Ramsay, on whose show The F-Word Richard was appearing as a guest.

During the recording of the programme, Ramsay gave Richard two wines to taste blind.  Of the second, his own wine Vida Nova from his estate in the Algarve, southern Portugal, he said, 'That's rubbish. I wouldn't pay for that, it's tainted, it's insipid. It tastes like vinaigrette. I'd never buy that.'

'He couldn't even identify his own wine. We are now using it for vinaigrette at Claridges. It's going down tremendously well with the tuna,' he allegedly crowed.

Comments were put forth that Richard had tasted "six" wines previously, and that presenting an expensive wine overchallenged his palate. Hmmm. One wonders how he gets through an afternoon of barrel sampling or blending trials. :hmmm:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

That must apparently be in season two, which I think is about wrapped up (wow, then GR flies to LA to shoot Hell's Kitchen). In season one, GR has a wine critic - or maybe it was the show's resident food critic - taste several wines. IIRC he blew one or two of them.

I remember tasting Cliff Richard's wine in London last year..nothing special that' s for sure. I think it was about 9 pounds (21$ Cdn) and widely available in Tesco's Supermarket.

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG