• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Tidbits from America's Finest City

kalypso

Here are a couple of interesting little bits of information about the S.D. dinding scene.

The exec. chef at El Biz in RB won the American competition for the Bocuse d'Or and will represent the U.S. next January in Lyon. Rather nice achievement for a chef from a city that doesn't usually register on the map for fine dining :wink:

Then scroll down to the info on the chef change at Arterra in Del Mar. The chef has moved on, Bradley Ogden's lease is up.........what happens next :huh:

Edited by kalypso (log)

Thanks so much starting this thread.

I'm gonna have to save my pennies to pay the babysitter and the check, and check out El Biz. We've been wanting to for a while, so now we can join the madding crowd generated by the publicity. (Oh wait..... this is San Diego......no crowd.)

San Diego Union-Tribune article here (same link as kalypso's)

Gavin Kaysen, chef de cuisine at El Bizcocho in the Rancho Bernardo Inn, is the nation's top chef when it comes to the prestigious Bocuse d'Or competition, ...

Kaysen's Halibut Pithivier – puff pastry stuffed with halibut, salmon mousse, mushroom duxelle and spinach and topped with a fines herbes beurre blanc – took the top prize...

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I went to Siegel's Meats this weekend. Its a mini-mart as well as a meat market, including a fresh seafood section & produce. All the ...'interesting'... meats are wrapped in butcher paper in a separate fridge, rather than openly on display in the meatcase. Quite the contrast to the local asian markets such as that shown in mizducky's recent foodblog. Meat quality looks tempting, but the prices chased us away. The fiberglass steer out front was a hit with the munchkin.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the 99Ranch market on CM Blvd this weekend. First time I've noticed the fresh water chestnuts. No wonder those are so popular canned. Thats a "treat" to peel! Man, I love that produce section.