• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa and Champagne

filipe

Needing some advice...

Tell me if you think this is stupid :

Mixing champagne with cocoa (powder), a good quality one, blend the mixture into a iSi whipper, and then foam it over some half-filled champagne flutes, really iced ones

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Needing some advice...

Tell me if you think this is stupid :

Mixing champagne with cocoa (powder), a good quality one, blend the mixture into a iSi whipper, and then foam it over some half-filled champagne flutes, really iced ones

The idea isn't stupid, but the only way you'll know if the drink will be successful is to try it. Then develop the drink some more and eventually it will be great.

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

• 2 weeks later...

How about Creme de Cacao or Godiva if you're looking for a chocolate flavor to add to Champagne?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

do you get a powder residue from the cocoa on the champagne flute?  might be a challenge with aesthetics and eventually, cleaning, but could be a promising mix.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure i will (first with some cheap champagne to do a lot of variations)

A syrup might be a good option. I've also thought on boiling some champagne and then mix the cocoa powder while hot to dissolve it well, and after it got cold mix it with the champagne or foam it over some champagne already in the flute. Other option, good for summer, would be to make a cocao+champagne granita, fill in half flute with it (as if we were making a caipirinha but without the sugar and the lime) and then fill the flute with champagne. I guess I'll try them all and compare the results.

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Why not make a syrup from some really good quality dark chocolate - like Valrhona - with boiling water, and no sugar? That would avoid the powdery residue possibility and make the sweetness of the final drink easier to control.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday