• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1992 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars SLV

Brad Ballinger

My wife and I were married in 1992, and our 14th anniversary was last night. The idea of opening a wine from 1992 started with our 10th when we went out with another couple and had bubbles, a white, a red, and a dessert wine all from 1992. It was never a planned thing, but just something that sort of happened. If it was planned I'd have more 1992 wines (although not the best vintage worldwide). As it stands, I'm now down to three more 92 Cal Cabs.

1992 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars "SLV" Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley. Overall, this is a wine that was drunk at about the right time, but I could see it holding for a couple more years before going into decline. The bright acidity is keeping it fresh and alive yet. Nose of cedar, tobacco, mint, black cherry. I don't have a comment on color. I brought it to a restaurant and the lighting at our table was dim. Acidity on the attack offering what the server, who had a sip, called "zing." Well put. After 30 minutes, it opened up to offer some velvet to envelop the zing. Cherries, tobacco, a smoky quality. Tannins were softened. The finish was full without any bite. Last year's wine was the 92 Fay from this same producer. This SLV was in better shape.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Geez. The current bid (at the time of this reply) is $9.99. But I'm think there has got to be a minimum on it since it's being sold by what appears to be a retailer.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Yes congrats Brad. I have mixed memories of SLV. In the 1970s you could get it (like a lot of interesting California Cabs, Clos du Val, Jordan, etc.) for a few dollars a bottle. (Late in that decade there was anxiety by some US wine writers about a trend to "double-digit Cabernets," I could quote if necessary.) Good stuff.

But the 1992 you've mentioned was for me a case of lost opportunity. A weekend tasting drive to that region 10 years ago, in very good company, found a quantity of the 1992 that the winery had unearthed and was selling off, but it was very hot weather and we didn't want to put it in the car. Instead of buying it anyway, I followed up a day later and it was all gone. (Maybe you enjoyed it instead. :-)

Cheers -- M

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, to celebrate my brother's wedding, we just had two bottles of 1995 SLV. I'm encouraged to hear your notes on the 1992 because I thought the 1995 was totally out of gas. All signs of acidity were depleted completely and all I got was soft, sugary, overripe fruit. It died on the finish and left me wanting more. I was worried for my other 1995's and felt a need to rush into them.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I totally lied. I just checked the locker to make sure. It was the FAY I brought with us to the wedding, not the SLV. The 1995 SLV still sits comfortably on the shelves.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Interestingly, to celebrate my brother's wedding, we just had two bottles of 1995 SLV.  I'm encouraged to hear your notes on the 1992 because I thought the 1995 was totally out of gas.  All signs of acidity were depleted completely and all I got was soft, sugary, overripe fruit.  It died on the finish and left me wanting more.  I was worried for my other 1995's and felt a need to rush into them.

FWIW, I've read plenty of recent (within the last couple of years) tasting notes from people I trust on 95 Cal Cabs that are in line with your experience with the 95 Fay.