• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Days in NOLA - Trip Report

gmi3804

We spent two wonderful days in NOLA over Easter weekend! Not having visited since Katrina, we were eager to return to supoprt the town we love so much.

We arrived Friday morning in time to survey some of the damage (my partner Greg used to live there; his old neighborhood, Lakeview, is almost totally devastated) and make our noon lunch reservation at Lilette. I'll concentrate on the wonderful meals we enjoyed.

Lilette - lunch

A charming corner bistro on Magazine St., Lilette was a chic and relaxing start to our culinary adventure.

Appetizers:

146118127.jpg

Sizzling shrimp with lemon oregano vinaigrette

146118128.jpg

Steamed Littleneck clams with Vidalia onion broth and fava bean bruschetta

Entrees:

146118129.jpg

Braised and crisped pork belly with tomato-cucumber salad

146118130.jpg

Braised beef short rib with deep-fried sweet potato gnocchi

Desserts:

146118133.jpg

Black Pepper pound cake with fresh strawberry ice cream and champagne zabaglione

146118135.jpg

Almond financier with caramelized apples and vanilla ice cream

Vizard's on the Avenue - Dinner

On Friday evening, we met a friend at the newish Vizard's on the Avenue. Chef Kevin Vizard (formerly of Cafe Adelaide) is at the helm of this civilizedl, dimly lit room.

Appetizers:

146118136.jpg

Creole Crab "Dugout" - Crispy eggplant, jumbo lump crab, crimini mushrooms, green onion, bernaise

146118137.jpg

Scallop Flan - jumbo lump crab, melted leek, creamy crab jus

146118138.jpg

Fried Oysters Bruschetta - balsamic marinated tomatoes, basil, crostini, manchego

Entrees:

146118139.jpg

"Chicken and Dumplings" - pan-roasted poulet rouge, foraged mushrooms, fava beans, gnocchi, herb poultry jus

146118194.jpg

Crab-crusted Sheepshead - kale chiffonade, fennel and jicama salad, saffron broth

146118195.jpg

Fried Softshell Crab - shaved asparagus, fennel, red onion, oven-roasted tomato, avocado dressing

Desserts:

146118196.jpg

Warm Pecan Torte - cafe au lait ice cream, chocolate ganache, melted toffee

146118198.jpg

"Almond Joy" - coconut panna cotta, almond florentine, ganache

146118200.jpg

Banana Tamale - white chocolate tabasco gelato, rum foster sauce

Restaurant August - Dinner

The same friend met us on Saturday night for our last dinner at Restaurant August, on of our all-time favorites. John Besh is clearly still at the top of his game.

Appetizers:

146118202.jpg

Salad of heirloom beets, crab meat, Allen Benton's cherry wood bacon, mustard greens, and quail eggs with black-eyed pea croutons

146118205.jpg

White asparagus "Soup and Salad" with local crab and Meyer lemon

146118208.jpg

P & J Oysters: crispy-fried with Lousiana caviar "ranch dressing", pepper-seared with country ham and truffle spoon bread, horseradish crusted

Entrees:

146118209.jpg

Cassoulet of Wade Rodi's rabbit cooked two ways (roasted loin stuffed with rabbit mousse)

146118210.jpg

Moroccan-spiced duck with soft polenta, roasted duck foie gras, and local strawberries (two of us had this)

Desserts:

146118231.jpg

Ponchatoula strawberries shortcake, cobbler, and mille-feuille

146118233.jpg

Pere Roux's Banana Rum Cake with Creole cream-cheese icing (two of us had this as well)

Early on Sunday morning, before our flight home, we made our obligatory stop at Cafe du Monde for Cafe au Lait and Beignets!

It was great to see this crippled city rebuilding after so much devastation. The spirit of the people and the pride in their city was very much evident everywhere we went. We can't wait to go back.

Edited by gmi3804 (log)

Fantastic report, George. The duck and the rabbit looked particularly appealing to me. I am a little confused by the P&J oysters, however. Were there three separate preparations of oysters or were they three separate elements only one of which contained oysters?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Beautiful stuff, George. Where to even start? It all looks so amazingly delicious. I know you don't normally photograph your meals. These must have really inspired you. Thanks for sharing the images.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

thank you, thank you. going with my teen and twenty something sons next week, and i will savor your experience as an appetizer for our trip. can NOT wait!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Your meal at August looks better than my last one, though I feared and loathed that white asparagus froth.

I think Vizard's is one of the better post-K restaurants, possibly the best. That scallop flan is a superlative dish. His opening the place has actually benefited the local restaurant scene twofold, as Danny Trace, former lead sous chef at Commander's Palace, took over Kevin Vizard's post at Cafe Adelaide and improved the menu there.

Edited by docbrite (log)

Fantastic report, George. The duck and the rabbit looked particularly appealing to me. I am a little confused by the P&J oysters, however. Were there three separate preparations of oysters or were they three separate elements only one of which contained oysters?

Sorry, John, for taking so long to get back to you - I didn't notice your question. All three preparations contained oysters.

P & J, by the way, is the purveyor. A friend of mine who saw this thought it said PB & J! :biggrin:

Sorry, John, for taking so long to get back to you - I didn't notice your question. All three preparations contained oysters.

P & J, by the way, is the purveyor. A friend of mine who saw this thought it said PB & J! :biggrin:

Thanks, george. That's what I thought, but I was a little confused.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz