• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

D'Artagnan Freezer Sale

Carolyn Tillie

Dartagnan is just the best.

I got my shipment yesterday. Stuff was missing. I got stuff I didn't order. I got charged for shipping even though my order qualified for free shipping. I called and got put on hold. The phone rang and rang and rang and rang.

So, why am I saying that Dartagnan is the best?

I must admit that when I called, I had very low expectations. Customer service just isn't what it used to be. I expected to get the run around. People just don't accept responsibility any more. They make excuses.

After what must have been a good ten minutes, Lynne picked up the phone and I explained what happened. She checked out the facts and told me that she would take care of everything. And she did. She told me she would call me back to let me know when I could expect the rest of my order. In less than two hours, I had my answer.

This morning I got the missing items. The receipt showed a credit for the shipping charge and the items I received in error.

I cannot say enough about how well I was treated.

The quality of Dartagnan products more than meets my expectations and so does Dartagnan customer service.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a bunch of stuff too, including 6 one-pound packs of frozen Wagyu ground beef, one of those lovely Wagyu beef tongues (bound to become tacos for Dia de los Muertos), a lobe of foie gras, plus a mess of duck products.

It was mentioned upthread, but can anyone point me to a good source that will tell me what the heck to do with the foie gras? I've eaten it plenty of times, but never tried to clean and prepare it myself.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

• 2 years later...

Thought I would give this a "bump" in a new thread - since the last thread ended about 3 years ago. The economy's malaise is the cook's gain. D'Artagnan is having regular "freezer sales" these days. Everything from sweetbreads to quail to poussin to lots of other items.

I don't know what to do with some of this stuff - but I am learning (with the little stuff - I am more into "little birds" than $100+ plus cuts of meat ). Cooked quail for the first time last night - and it was excellent (I can buy frozen quail locally - but it is pre-seasoned with a ton of salt - this is plain frozen quail).

You can sign up at the website for emails about the sales. Since the shipping is generally a big part of the price - if you have friends who are interested - you can combine orders. Whatever you do - you can wind up with prime ingredients for meals that will cost you a whole lot less than you will spend for meals prepared with the same ingredients in restaurants. Next lesson for me - sweetbreads. Have never done those before either.

FWIW - I don't do this to save money. It's just that I live in an area where a meal involving something like quail or sweetbreads is a special week in advance order (and only available - even in advance - at 2-3 places). Robyn