• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby Party

rich

This Saturday, May 5th, is the most exciting day in American Sports and one of the most internationally watched sporting events - the 132nd Run for the Roses aka, the Kentucky Derby.

I'm sure most everyone is going to a perty or throwing a party, so what's on the menu? With a full field of 20, this Year's Derby promises to be a test of skill, courage and natural ability. Six horse have natural early speed and six others are dead closers. The remaining eight will compete from somewhere in the middle of the pack and out of there will come the eventual winner - Barbaro.

Here's my tentative menu:

Mint Juleps - the real deal

Pork Quesadillas with Chiptole glaze

Fried Avocado with anchovy aioli

Bourbon Glazed Shrimp

Benedictine Finger Sandwiches

Corn Salsa with Homeamade Tortillas

Tapanade filled Burgers

Sauteed Oysters with Balsamic Viniagrette

Crispy Potato Cakes with Fresh Horseradish and Sour Cream

Apple, Onion & Potato Hash

Grilled Marinated Flank Steak

One more dish to be determined

Streusel Cream Peach Pie

Mint Julep Cake

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Just Mint Juleps here!

:rolleyes: what about those classic recipes associated with this special day?

Cheese Garlic Grits

Thoroughbred Pie

Burgoo

Kentucky Hot Brown

Beaumont Inn Corn Pudding

Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

If I were in Kentucky (I'm not, though my parents live in Lexington) and if I were having a Derby Party (which I'm not, but that's beside the point) I'd be serving baked country ham on beaten biscuits. And I'd be using strawberries instead of peaches, as it's not time for peaches yet.

I wonder how many other people here know what Benedectine Finger Sandwiches are.

Can you pee in the ocean?

If I were in Kentucky (I'm not, though my parents live in Lexington) and if I were having a Derby Party (which I'm not, but that's beside the point) I'd be serving baked country ham on beaten biscuits. And I'd be using strawberries instead of peaches, as it's not time for peaches yet.

I wonder how many other people here know what Benedectine Finger Sandwiches are.

Yea, I'm pushing the season on peaches, but hey it's for a good cause. :rolleyes:

Bendictine finger sandwiches are the best thing to happen to the Derby since Aristedes.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

or even Kentucky Hot Brown? :blink: or Burgoo ... :huh:

Okay, I'll bite (for lack of a better word!), therese ...

Is there a Kentucky dictionary? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

This Saturday, May 5th, is the most exciting day in American Sports and one of the most internationally watched sporting events - the 132nd Run for the Roses aka, the Kentucky Derby.

Isn't Saturday the 6th? I've been working on a Cinco de Mayo menu for Friday!

:shock:

I know, I know, I'm a smarta$$! :laugh:

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Isn't Saturday the 6th? I've been working on a Cinco de Mayo menu for Friday!

:shock:

I know, I know, I'm a smarta$$! :laugh:

You're right - I was trying to get a head start for my horse. You caught me! :smile:

Rich Schulhoff

The remaining eight will compete from somewhere in the middle of the pack and out of there will come the eventual winner - Barbaro.

So, c'mon Rich, you got a contra-favorite for us?

Can Private Vow get the distance?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You got me with this one.

Would those be fingers of monks or nuns?

In either case, pretty difficult to source these days.

Fortunately for everybody involved, Benedictine Finger Sandwiches are made with a spread made of cream cheese and cucumber. There's controversy surrounding the use of green food coloring to tint it a pale shade of green.

So, rich, are you making the Benedictine yourself? And if you are will you be tinting the final product? Prettier if you're using white bread for the sandwiches, but no matter if you're using a dark bread. Except that people won't necessarily recognize them if the filling's not green.

And I'd still use strawberries.

Can you pee in the ocean?

The remaining eight will compete from somewhere in the middle of the pack and out of there will come the eventual winner - Barbaro.

So, c'mon Rich, you got a contra-favorite for us?

Can Private Vow get the distance?

Actually he's my long shot pick. Two great races over the track - coming into his best form and a very crafty trainer. Shaun rides for me in New York at times - he's my only concern. He may get a bit jumpy and move too soon - he's been known to do that.

I'm using him in exotics with Barbaro and Bob & John

Rich Schulhoff

You got me with this one.

Would those be fingers of monks or nuns?

In either case, pretty difficult to source these days.

Fortunately for everybody involved, Benedictine Finger Sandwiches are made with a spread made of cream cheese and cucumber. There's controversy surrounding the use of green food coloring to tint it a pale shade of green.

So, rich, are you making the Benedictine yourself? And if you are will you be tinting the final product? Prettier if you're using white bread for the sandwiches, but no matter if you're using a dark bread. Except that people won't necessarily recognize them if the filling's not green.

And I'd still use strawberries.

Yes, I'm making the Benedictine myself and will use a firm white bread. Won't use the food coloring, but will make a parsley paste to add that hint of green.

I know the strawberries are traditional, but I have a great source for incredibly sweet peaches from South America, so that's where I'm going. But I am making the Mint Julep Cake, which will use a bit of Green Creme de Menthe for coloring

Rich Schulhoff

Psst....rich:

Dill, not parsley. Parsley benedictine just tastes like tatziki sauce. The iron-clad traditional recipe 'round here is cream cheese, cucumber, grated onion (squeeze the moisture out of the grated onion before adding) dill, splashes of hot sauce and worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper and lemon juice.

And good on ya for eschewing the green dye. Some folks say it ain't benedictine without it - actually my own catering manager bugs me about putting it in all the time, but, so far, I've remained steadfast.

Benedictine was invented in the early 1920's by Jennie Benedict, a very successful Louisville restaurateur and caterer that had attended Fanny Farmer's cooking school in Boston. Legend has it that she invented it when she made a batch of cream cheese from milk that had come from cows that had been munching on a patch of wild onions in their field (so it was onion-y tasting from the start) - but I don't have any confirmation of that. Sounds a little pat - this year is the first time I heard that part of the story.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Psst....rich:

Dill, not parsley. 

Dill it is then - thanks!

Rich Schulhoff

I was shooting for the Kentucky Hot Browns a few weeks ago, but after some further reading and research decided, way too rich with the sauce and cheeses which really did not sound very appetizing.

Hot smoking a 20lb turkey Saturday, for Hot open Faced Turkey sandwiches, bourbon glazed sweet potaoes, roasted asparagus.

Mint Julep's for the race.

I'll be wearing a waterproof shirt, cause the hat I'm wearin, is a real pisser.

woodburner

out of there will come the eventual winner - Barbaro.

Nice handicapping, Rich! Race set up just like you said, and Prado rode well - and his horse was much the best. Had the winner, but no exotics. My cross-the-hall neighbor hit the exacta and tri, and walked away with a nice chunk of change.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

out of there will come the eventual winner - Barbaro.

Nice handicapping, Rich! Race set up just like you said, and Prado rode well - and his horse was much the best. Had the winner, but no exotics. My cross-the-hall neighbor hit the exacta and tri, and walked away with a nice chunk of change.

No Exotics for me either. Blue Grass Cat was the first horse I eliminated. Still can't figure out that form reversal. Pletcher does some strange things at times.

Party went well - 26 people so six were left out of the pool.

I made 13 dishes and two desserts. The only thing left - one lemon, 1 1/2 limes, one orange and half bunch of mint.

Went through two cases of beer, 10 bottles of wine and two 750ml of Bourbon. Party started at 3pm, ended at 2:45am.

Bendictines were terrifc with the dill - thanks Zilla.

Rich Schulhoff