• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vinotemp 60 Wine Cooler-- Questions

Richard Kilgore

The manual with this wine cooler says to put it on a solid floor, but not carpet. Why is this a problem? If it must stand in a carpeted area, should I place it on a square of tile, or what?

Also the box says it will hold 54, but the vinotemp site says 60. There are 54 slots (9X6). There is also a space at the bottom of the interior that has a heavy wire across it; is this so you do not try to fit bottles in the space? If not, is the space useable?

The box and the manual also caution about always standing the box upright and never at more than a 45 degree angle to the floor when transporting or moving it. I have a hard time imagining one of these things getting shipped from China and never tipped or laid on its side (or even upside down) at some point along the way. Is the only danger a broken door handle or glass, or is there any other problem that could occur now or after it has been in operation for a while?

Any other advice from those who have one?

Is this the cooler you have?

wine cooler

If so, I have the same one. Becaue it is in my basement, it sits on a cement floor. It is vented in the front, so I don't see why it cannot be placed on carpeting unless there is a need to have air circulate underneath. Just to be sure, I'd follow the manual's advise and elevate it off the carpet on a flat even surface.

I place a few larger bottles in the bottom space you describe with no untoward effects.

No doubt the directions to keep it upright during transport are no different than the

"Fragile" and "This end up" directives on many boxes. It's simply better to ship it that way considering the internal mechanics and overall design. While moving mine to the basement I kept it in the carton and carefully slid it down the stairs, again, with no problem.

Compared to much higher priced small wine cellars, the VT is fairly utilitarian. Mine has served me well for about two years but because it was a scratch 'n dent, the handle was loose and cannot be tightened. No big deal because it's in the basement. You cannot control how it has been shipped but just be careful how you move it about and use it. Mine is not fragile, but it doesn't seem as solidly built as a friend's Sub Zero. But then, they've had someone in to repair theirs several times, while mine as performed without a hitch.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Thanks, Mano. In order to put the bottles in the bottom space, did you have to remove a heavy wire blocking it?

I just slipped them over or under it. No problem removing and then replacing the metal piece as it helps keep the bottles from moving about too much.

Thanks again. I found that half bottles fit well in the bottom space.

The manual says that the temp displayed is for the middle section, and the upper and lower sections are a few degrees (5-10) higher or lower, respectively. However,when my display reads 54 (the factory setting) the bottom two rows read about 57 and the bottom space about 55 on a fridge/freezer thermometer. While I can't vouch for the accuracy of this thermometer, it makes me wonder how accurate the display reading is. Also if the upper/middle/lower sections actually correspond to top2/middle2/bottom2 rows.

Any ideas about all this? And any suggestions for an accuarate themometer that would fit on a rack?

I wouldn't sweat the whole temperature thing. I have a digital thermometer/humidity device that I swap between the VT60 and my cigar humidors. Anything around 58 +/- 4 degrees should be fine.

I focus more on humidity. I think the cooler draws humidity from the air and I try to keep that around 70% but I'm not too obsessive about it. During the dry winter or if humidity drops lower, I'll put in something moist. Before I got the VT60 the humidity was sometimes too low (40-50%) for too long and some corks of the bottles I was aging began to dry out. I now use the VT60 for my better bottles and for aging. The rest are on racks next to it.

Edited by Mano (log)

I bought the device on sale at Radio Shack quite a while ago and just stick it wherever it'll fit. I'm sure they still carry something like it.

If you follow this link you'll see several but the $19.99 one should suffice and gets a 5 star rating!

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...kwCatId=2032060

To increase moisture try some wet paper towels on a small dish.

Edited by Mano (log)