• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raisin White Bread

donyeokl

Had some unused baker's yeast so used it to bake a loaf of raisin white bread...

Just tried baking this recipe I found and it turn out ok and tasted good...  :smile:

Happy Baking

Don

Hi Don,

That loaf looks fantastic, the crumb looks very soft and well-risen. Would you mind sharing your tips and recipe? I love raisin bread, especially sliced extra thick and toasted with loads of butter.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

Hi Lorinda,

Here's the recipe I tried:

3/4 tsp of dry baker's yeast

175g Warm water (32C to 38C)

175g Milk

250g All purpose flour

250g Bread flour

120g Currants or raisins

1 1/2 tsp of fine salt

Olive oil or flour for kneading

In a bowl, add yeast, warm water and 2 to 3 tblsp of flour (take from the 500g of flour), whisk together and leave covered for 20 minutes. After that, add remaining flour, salt and milk, mixed with your hands, scrap loose dough from hands and bowl to form a sticky dough. Leave covered for 10 minutes. Oil a clean surface and apply some oil on hands, pour out the dough, knead for 15 seconds making quarter turns and return in a ball shape to a cleaned and oiled bowl. Knead for a total of 30 minutes (3 times of 15 seconds knead at 10 mins interval). Leave dough to rest for 10 minutes, pour dough out, press gently into a rectangle and fold dough in thirds( top & bottom and left & right) then leave for 30 minutes covered. Check dough for aeration then cut dough into 2 equal parts and shape into a ball. Grease and flour a loaf tin (5in x 8in), put the 2 balls of dough side by side into the loaf tin. Cover with cloth for 1 to 1.5 hours or till dough has doubled or slightly higher then edge of tin. Preheat oven to 210C, bake for approx. 15 minutes or till top is golden brown then reduce temperature to 190C and bake till loaf leaves the side of tin (another 30 minutes or so). Cover the top with foil if top is too brown.

Remove loaf from tin and cool on wire rack.

Have a goooo............

Happy Baking

Don

Cheers...

Don

Thanks so much Don. I look forward to trying it soon and hope my results are as good as yours. The kneading schedule is unusual - so you just knead for 15 secs, wait 10minutes - and do this 3 times? That's great, as much as I like kneading, it does get a bit tedious!

Thanks so much Don. I look forward to trying it soon and hope my results are as good as yours. The kneading schedule is unusual - so you just knead for 15 secs, wait 10minutes - and do this 3 times? That's great, as much as I like kneading, it does get a bit tedious!

Yes, lorinda... 15 secs everytime at 10mins interval for a total of 30 minutes.

Example as follows:

10.00am - first knead

10.10am - second knead

10.20am - third knead

10.30am - press dough gently into rectangle and do the 1/3 folds and return to bowl seam side down. Leave for 30 minutes.

11.00am - Slit dough to check for aeration. Once you see bubbles, divide dough into 2 equal parts and shape it into balls. Put the dough side by side into a loaf tin and cover with cloth. Proof for abt 1 to 1.5 hours, once dough has risen above the ream (abt 1 inch) of the tin or double in size, its ready for baking.

The rest of the procedure is as per the recipe.

Note:

If the loaf is ready but the sides are not brown enough , remove loaf from the tin, lay it by its side and baked it for 5 minutes or till desired colour then turn it to the other side and bake for another 5 mins.

Cheers...

Don

Cheers...

Don

Thanks Don!

When I make it, I might add some cinnamon and sugar to the recipe.

Have to wait till the weekend, till then am making do with bought bread.