• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lambs Quarters

Bond Girl

I love lambs quarters. I sautee them in a little butter or olive oil and put salt and peppers on them. If I want to get a little fancy, I get some bacon fat and sautee them with it. But, I'm sick of eating them that way. Anyone out there have any recipes to share?

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I have this recipe for Lamb Quarters Quiche... You dont have to follow it exactly, maybe add some bacon or ham or ham and bacon. :biggrin:

1/2 tsp salt

4 cups young lamb's quarter

leaves, cut up

3 eggs

1-3/4 cups milk 1/4 cup chopped onion

2 cups grated narural Swiss

cheese (8 oz)

2 Tbsp butter

1 Tbsp flour

Pan, I think they are bit more delicate than spinach and the taste is a little different.

Craft frequently has lamb's quarters on the menu, you might want to try it as a side dish there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm unfamiliar with lambs quarters. This page from the Mariquita Farm website of eGullet Society member Chardgirl says they're like spinach. Do you all figure that describes their taste well? What's the advantage over spinach, in that case?

Lambs quarters are also known as mache, and they're popular as a salad green in France, though often viewed as a weed in the USA! They have a more delicate flavor than spinach, with none of the bitterness.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Thanks Suzy. I'm familiar with mache. :biggrin: Somehow, I didn't recognize the plants in the photos I got from a Google image search, but I believe I've had mache a lot of times before in salads.

Michael aka "Pan"

Lambs quarters are also known as mache, and they're popular as a salad green in France, though often viewed as a weed in the USA! They have a more delicate flavor than spinach, with none of the bitterness.

What I've eaten and cooked as lambs quarter (it shows up in my CSA sometimes) isn't much like mache, at least not the mache I've eaten here and in Europe.

It is delicately flavored, though.

Can you pee in the ocean?

The summer soup sounds great....I don't think Lambs Quarter is the same as Mache, lambs lettuce is.... but I could be wrong.

I think you're right. But either one can used for soup. Gosh, between lambs lettuce, lambs quarters, lambs tongue, lambs ear...what is gal to think?! :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks