• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Geoduck

tommy

tommy -- Below is a thread on geoduck: :wink:

http://forums.egullet.org/ibf/index.php?ac...2610e23b20c4115

In other threads:

With seafood, I tend to worry less (unjustifiably) about getting ill from eating those items alive. I have thought about taking flesh from a live salmon caught on an Alaskan cruise day excursion (not yet pursued). More easily implemented would be my buying a large geoduck clam from Chinatown and taking meat from its "trunk" while it was still alive. I believe this to be possible because a geoduck clam is very large (see the Pacific Northwest forum for background), and may sustain an initial knife cut. Also, the "trunk" of the clam is long and amenable to that type of cut.  I would prepare some soy and wasabi for sashimi style eating, and also a little pot of bouillon for quick immersion and eating. (Apologies if members find this plan unappealing. I will implement it sometime this year and report back)  :wink:

Yes, I've prepared them several times. We have thousands of them on our beach house property on Puget Sound (although they are farmed, the growers give us some). They are delicious... I think they taste like a sweet clam. The asians are also very keen on them, and I believe most them are grown for the Japanese market.

They are also quite popular at the Pike Place Market!

tommy -- Not at all. Thanks for posting the pictures, and for leading other members to consider this product to the extent they had not yet focused on the quoted materials. :wink: Do you plan to acquire geoduck in Chinatown and prepare them? One method of preparation is to prepare a clear bouillon (e.g., shellfish based) and then dip thin slices of geoduck momentarily in the bouillon. Geoduck are also good raw, as sashimi (assuming the diner is confident in the quality of the specimen). :smile:

i have no plans to prepare one of these.

tommy -- When you have a chance, could you consider discussing why not? Do you like "regular" clam? :smile:

i'm not a huge fan of clams. although, i'll eat them when they're cooked. i much prefer raw oysters, which i could eat all day every day (and practically have been for the past week :smile: )

i'm very eager to try this in a restaurant though, so if anyone knows of a specific place in NYC that serves it, i'm like, there.

How odd. One summer, when I was around 10 years old, these mysterious creatures appeared near the shore of Israel, either dug in sand or clinging to the coastal rocks. We had no idea what they were (certainly not that they were edible) and the following year they were gone. I wonder what geoducks (or their relatives) were doing along the eastern coast of the Mediterranean.

Oh you can hear the diggers say, as they're headed for the bay,

"Oh I gotta dig a duck, gotta dig a duck a day.

'Cause I get a buck a duck if I dig a duck a day, so I gotta dig a duck

Gotta dig a duck a day."

Dig a duck, dig a duck, dig a geoduck.

Dig a duck, dig a geoduck, dig a duck a day.

Well, it takes a lot of luck, and a certain 'mount of pluck,

Just to dig around the muck, just to get a geoduck.

'Cause he doesn't have a front, and he doesn't have a back,

And he doesn't know a Donald, and he doesn't go a quack!

from: http://therussler.tripod.com/vdj/vocable_du_jour.html

M

• 2 years later...

Just thought I'd revise this thread. I love geoduck!

I recently had geoduck ceviche on a trip to Seattle where I also took at picture of the geoduck tank at Uwajimaya (it also happens to be my desktop at work -- it's an interesting conversation starter).

i11461.jpg

Have none of you ever read "The Egg And I" by Betty MacDonald?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Like "why do those penises have clam shells on their testicles?".

Christ. It's been a long week.

:laugh: Scanning too quickly, first I read your post then mixed it up with another one following soon after, which said 'Good as sushi' and something about hot peppers... :shock::wub: