• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Central/Eastern European Jewish Cuisine

mascarpone

Sammy's Roumanian has kishke.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Veselka is a Ukranian-American non-Jewish diner, and I frankly don't consider it a very good one, unless it has improved greatly in the last x-number of years (2? 3?) that I haven't eaten there. But yes, you can get versions of these dishes at non-Jewish Eastern European restaurants that, for example, stuff cabbage with pork and rice, as is the case for example at Teresa's, a Polish-American non-Jewish diner I frequently patronize (for the record, I think their stuffed cabbage is just OK, however). But to get really good goulash, I'm guessing that you'd probably want a Hungarian restaurant or perhaps an Austrian one. The Stage Restaurant, a tiny luncheonette (Polish-American, I think) just next to the theater between 7th and St. Marks on 2nd Av., does make a fairly satisfying goulash that it sells quite cheaply, but it's really just a good value for the neighborhood, and it is so far from having the great flavor of the gulyasleves I used to enjoy in Budapest that I would call those two different dishes.

Michael aka "Pan"

What does Satmar have to do with food? It's a sect of orthodox judaism, but I'm not aware of any particular food associations...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

What does Satmar have to do with food?  It's a sect of orthodox judaism, but I'm not aware of any particular food associations...

I rather assumed that with the Satmar Chassidim, as with the Lubavitch Chassidim, it is the shechita

(manner of animal slaughter and by whom) which is the primary issue ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I guess what I was driving at was Central/Eastern European Jewish. Satmar is around present day Romania, but was originally part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, if I am not mistaken.

Perhaps a restaurant in Williamsburg?

What does Satmar have to do with food?  It's a sect of orthodox judaism, but I'm not aware of any particular food associations...

Well, Sammy's has very good kishke, but doesn't do goulash or halushka that I know of. I'm also guessing that kishke will be the hardest of the 3 to find...