• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2002-2007)

Holly Moore

on my way up to sk the other night, i had this giddy feeling that felt familiar, but i couldn't quite place where or when i had felt this way before.something gurgling up from the past. then it hit me. Grateful Dead concerts!

yeah, it made sense. you know; shoala opened with...., then went right into..... but this time he played it with a funkier beat..... and for an encore........

can anyone relate? or have i completely lost it?

my god what's happened to me. i really need to get back to work...........

next time you guys are there, when you come out after dining, and i'm hawking tie dyes with psychadelic images of lychee vinegar foam, you have permission to call the police, or social servcies,or ....buy one or two...........

Well you guys already know that I'm out lurking on the sidewalk most nights, holding a sign saying "I need a miracle"

the really amazing part about this is how often it works for you.

i'm gonna start selling balloons of carrot-miso air. $5 each, brah, but i'll totally trade you for a couple hits off the red lentil soup bong!

StudioKitchen 17 November, 2005

Aperitif: Charles Heidsick "Mis en Cave 1995" Brut Reserve

Lemon Cured Scallop Sashimi

Fig – Olive Tapenade, Cucumber Sorbet, Lemon Balm, Mint Oil

Chavignol Sancerre "Les Monts Dames" 2002

Saint Peray Rhone 2003

gallery_23992_2081_28991.jpg

gallery_23992_2081_20460.jpg

Maine Lobster "Cuit Sous Vide"

Lobster Galette, Piperade Jus, Ginger Leek Confit, Carrot Shellfish Emulsion

Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevreres Domane Remi Jobard 1999

Meursault "En La Berre" Francois Jobard 2000

gallery_23992_2081_16918.jpg

gallery_23992_2081_4788.jpg

Slow Roasted Pork Belly

Crepinette of Boneless Baby Back Ribs, Cauliflower Cream, Prune and Bergamot Jus

Kistler Pinot Noir Russian River Valley 1998

Nuit St Georges Domaine Henri Gouges 1998

Cote Rotie La Landonne 1997

gallery_23992_2081_21894.jpg

Killing Three Birds with One Stone:

Palmetto Squab, Cocoa Nib Salt, Banyuls Jus

Cherrywood Cold Smoked Scottish Partridge

Foie Gras Ravioli, Truffle Jus

Quail Confit Croustade, Poivrade Sauce

Chateau Lynch Bages 1989

Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1986

Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1986

gallery_23992_2081_45027.jpg

(That's the Squab on the left, the partridge is balanced atop the foie ravioli in the back, and the quail is residing inside the pastry...)

gallery_23992_2081_23805.jpg

Truffled Goat Cheese with puréed truffle vinaigrette

gallery_23992_2081_18699.jpg

gallery_23992_2081_37622.jpg

Crustless Chocolate Tart, Black Sesame Seed Praline, Espresso Scented Chocolate – Chestnut Sorbet, Black Pepper Orange Streusel

Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey 1985 1er Cru Sauternes

Chateau Guiraud 1990 1er Cru Sauternes.

gallery_23992_2081_9860.jpg

food descriptions, and a feeble attempt to recount some of the truly mind-boggling wines served alongside, to follow...

OK, this is really getting ridiculous. Jeff, I need to get there really soon. I only have one huge favor, whoever brought those amazing wines needs to be there the night I am there ok?? I still am an SK virgin even after reading all these posts.

Jeff L

Shacke, that dinner looked amazing!

We just bought a Pedro Jiminez sherry, but it definitely wasn't a 1927.

Chocolate  Tasting

White Chocolate Citrus Ganache, Raspberries, Lemon Balm

Chocolate Coffee Sorbet, Candied Chestnut, Cocoa Nibs

Chocolate Amarena Cake, Star Anise Cherry Jus, Pepper Cracklings

Malted Milk Shake,  Chocolate Foam

1927 Pedro Ximenez Alvera sherry

gallery_27885_1177_29117.jpg

Who doesn’t love dessert and Shola knows he was dealing with a chocolate mob when he designed this course.  He tamed the wild beasts with a teasingly stout shot glass of a classic malted milk shake topped with the foam I have come to know and love from him.  The sorbet was decadently rich and crunchy with the nibs inside.  I had thirds from the “bucket”.  The ganache, served as a brulee style dessert was a terrific lighter balance of the darker stuff on the plate.  The tasting of the amarena cake was more than I could bear – but I did anyway.

I want to take a bath in that malted. Sorry for that visual--couldn't help it. :biggrin:

You had thirds? From the "bucket"? He was holding out on us on the bucket when we were there last. :angry::shock:

JeffL, it's time you're deflowered soon.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

OK, this is really getting ridiculous. Jeff, I need to get there really soon. I only have one huge favor, whoever brought those amazing wines needs to be there the night I am there ok?? I still am an SK virgin even after reading all these posts.

Jeff L

Me too, and I think it's definitely past time I made it there some night. Those pictures were simply incredible and I'm salivating as I sit here, green with envy...

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

this place is really on fire but i can't seem to locate a website, is there one? can somebody give me some information on this place ~ (chef, history, location...ect) by the way those are very impressive pictures and the cuisine seems to be very interesting and a must watch for whats to come in the future. cheers from texas ~ randy

One day, I really must visit Philadelphia, with the sole intent of eating at Studio Kitchen. But here's a question about reservations. Let's say I'm a party of one (maybe two), and I'm desperate to eat there. If I were to make reservations for a party of 8 (or 10), and do an ISO post just a week before the reservation (and of my arriving in PA), what are the chances that I could fill the rest of the table with e-Gulleters? That's pretty much the only way I could get there, and I don't imagine I could get that many people to visit PA, just to eat at SK.

...Let's say I'm a party of one (maybe two), and I'm desperate to eat there.  If I were to make reservations for a party of 8 (or 10), and do an ISO post just a week before the reservation (and of my arriving in PA), what are the chances that I could fill the rest of the table with e-Gulleters?...

You could fill it on Christmas!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

this place is really on fire but i can't seem to locate a website, is there one?  can somebody give me some information on this place ~ (chef, history, location...ect)  by the way those are very impressive pictures and the cuisine seems to be very interesting and a must watch for whats to come in the future.  cheers from texas ~ randy

Try upthread.

No website, for the same reason that Queen Elizabeth doesn't carry a wallet.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

One day, I really must visit Philadelphia, with the sole intent of eating at Studio Kitchen.  But here's a question about reservations.  Let's say I'm a party of one (maybe two), and I'm desperate to eat there.  If I were to make reservations for a party of 8 (or 10), and do an ISO post just a week before the reservation (and of my arriving in PA), what are the chances that I could fill the rest of the table with e-Gulleters?  That's pretty much the only way I could get there, and I don't imagine I could get that many people to visit PA, just to eat at SK.

I'm there.

Like, totally!

Really, you're safe. We're like a religious cult, only much fatter.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the pictures really need any commentary, but if anyone's interested, I crammed-in some words amidst the images for that thursday night SK dinner on the original post..

And just a reminder to folks looking to organize a dinner at SK, there's a thread dedicated to that very thing, pinned near the top of the PA forum. With a little notice, there should be no trouble rounding up enough people to fill-out your table, but do start as soon as you can, believe it or not, it can sometimes be hard to get people to say yes, even to this!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a thread! What increedible dining! I have to get back to Philly expressly for this.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've seen the thread on StudioKitchen a zillion times, but never opened it until today. WOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Anyone who ever needs a seat filled should feel free to PM me! It's not that far from northern NJ...

MUST. GO. MUST. GO. MUST. GO. :wacko:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 3 weeks later...

StudioKitchen December 16, 2005

Of all the amazing meals I've had at StudioKitchen, this one stands out, for a few reasons. We can all be excited that this indicates Shola's desire to explore even more adventurous, luxurious food than before, so I expect there are some truly amazing meals to come. There are some new toys, some new techniques, some new ideas being deployed, which will lead to some spectacular results on the plate.

Additionally, this particular meal was a special event for some long-time regulars, so it was perhaps a bit over the top, even for StudioKitchen. So there are a few extra courses, some special-request ingredients, and a general level of opulence that might be a BIT more than you might see on the average SK dinner, but I'm sure we'll still be seeing some preparations reflecting some of these same ideas in the future.

Sea Urchin Custard, Maple Sherry Caramel, Marcona Almond, American Hackleback Caviar

gallery_23992_2218_10949.jpg

The delicate custard had just a hint of that deep-sea uni mystery, countered with the sweet shine of maple caramel on the top. The caviar nicely reinforced the marine overtones, but the ingredient that really tied this together was the almond, the crunch playing against the rich creaminess, and the broad nutty flavor bridging the creamy, sweet, salty, fishy elements.

Chestnut Soup, Pheasant Confit, Apple Cider

gallery_23992_2218_8933.jpg

I've probably made this claim in this topic several times before, and I look forward to maybe saying it again someday, but this is the best soup I've ever had in my life. It was impossibly full and creamy, not a hint of grittiness despite the strong chestnut flavor. Large shreds of tender pheasant hid behind chunks of sweet apple. The tiniest hint of grated Thai long pepper on the foam gave a nutmeg-ish aroma that added a perfect top-note to the earthy soup. I was dreaming about this soup last night...

Butter Poached Prawns, Dessicated Tomatoes, Chamomile Tea

gallery_23992_2218_11208.jpg

I can't eat shrimp. so I can't tell you much about them, except that there was no shortage of volunteers to eat the ones I wasn't! But I can say that the Chamomile tea in which they were bathing was unbelievable! It looked like a light, clear broth, but somehow tasted like a Thai coconut milk soup, complex flowery aromas, a hint of citrus, and really, phantom coconut. I certainly hope to encounter that broth on something else in the future!

Foie Gras Poele, Pineapple, Basil Oil

gallery_23992_2218_19973.jpg

Foie and basil? I was having a hard time picturing it, but sure enough, it worked beautifully, the pineapple bridging the two. Absolutely delicious.

Vadouvan Spiced Scottish Partridge, Mushroom Pain Perdu, Black Truffle

gallery_23992_2218_8779.jpg

Despite being sourced from D'Artagnan, one really gets the experience of a bird brought back from a traditional hunt. I can testify to this, having experienced the deep gamey flavors, and having found two little pellets of bird shot in my portion! Just chew carefully, it's worth the risk, the taste of this bird is so different from a farm-raised quail or pheasant. I loved the mushroom-stuffed french toast that served as a platform for the partridge leg and breast, and soaked up the truffle-perfumed jus. The bird itself was really tasty, sparked-up by some Indian spices, and just really densely flavored, especially the leg.

Balontine of Rabbit and Sweetbreads, Poached Egg, Tarragon Saboyan, Poivrade Jus

gallery_23992_2218_7840.jpg

This would make a pretty mind-blowing brunch item, echoing some of the forms and flavors of an Eggs Benedict. The sweetbreads were rolled-up inside the rabbit, the first time I've had them when they weren't crisped on their own. They leant a rich, luxurious texture to the rabbit, which itself was meltingly tender.

gallery_23992_2218_2179.jpg

The runny yolks of the poached egg gave another level of indulgence, the lemony saboyan brightening the flavors. People often tease Shola about not serving bread, and although I understand his stance in most circumstances, this is one course that would have really benefitted from something to sop up some of the sauce and egg. A few slices of baguette, a soft roll, heck some wheat toast from the diner would do, the yolk intermingling with the saboyan and Poivrade jus made such a lovely new sauce.

Vacherin Mont D'Or, Pickled Grapes Poached in Olive Oil, Sorrel

gallery_23992_2218_8803.jpg

Man, it smelled like a freaking locker room in there... The Vacherin was a gloriously stinky, runny cheese, which we scooped up on chunks of Challa. The first time I had these grapes, I was convinced they were olives, they live in a netherworld between sweet and tart, absolutely perfect accompaniments for this cheese.

Frozen Lemon-Chaource "Cheesecake", Dehydrated Olives, Marcona Almonds, Fennel Pollen, Muscovado Sugar, Lemon Scented Olive Oil

gallery_23992_2218_23967.jpg

The quotes are there because this was not so much a traditional cheesecake, more one of the cheesy ice creams Shola does so well. The olives, almonds and pollen were in a crumble beneath the ice cream, lending a little crunch, and some unusual flavors as well.

I think that ought to do it...

It's probably obvious that everything was delicious, not a low point in all these courses. I've been shaking my head when Shola says that he's going to start doing some more creative cooking... it seems like that's what he's been doing all along! But the food here was certainly amped-up a bit, and if it's an indication of the things to come, I think we can be really excited about what's coming. I especially want to see what he'll do with his anti-griddle!

Stay tuned, I'm sure we'll read about it right here in this topic.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

Thanks so much for your review philadining. I love this thread so much and like so many other great threads on eG, this one allows me to at least take a peek at fabulous, interesting, delicious-looking food. I haven't been in Philadelphia for years now but I think I need to start planning a little quickie getaway soon. Redding Market, great subs, and perhaps a Studio Kitchen experience? Philly, here I come! :smile:

BTW, what exactly is an "anti-griddle?"

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Just like your ordinary griddle, except that it gets REALLY cold!

He didn't use it for the meal i just described, but I saw the machine...so, soon!

I think Grant Achatz at Alinea inspired the design of this precise model from Polyscience but I think they've been doing similar things at elBulli, maybe even in some commercial kitchens.

I'm eager to see what Shola does with it!

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

Just like your ordinary griddle, except that it gets REALLY cold!

He didn't use it for the meal i just described, but I saw the machine...so, soon!

I think Grant Achatz at Alinea inspired the design of this precise model from Polyscience but I think they've been doing similar things at elBulli, maybe even in some commercial kitchens.

I'm eager to see what Shola does with it!

Well I guess we'll just have to wait to see what he does with this, but philadining I'm interested to know what ideas you/others may have on how to best use this device.

BTW, I think I'd have to sneak in some bread just to sop up every last drop of those exquisite sauces! :rolleyes:

Edited for additional comments.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I have to agree this meal really seems to set a new standard for SK in terms of complexity and ingredients.

Awesome, this will be #1 on my list of places to eat next time I'm back in Philly.

Great quality Pics too! Are you bringing light tents to your meal now???? :blink:

Edited by SG- (log)

Thanks for the pics, philadining! Shola never ceases to amaze me. I think that these responses to this meal will encourage him to experiment even further, and show that people, at least people that dine at SK, are willing and eager to think of dishes beyond their usual range. I am looking forward to what he has in store for the future.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

...Are bringing light tents to your meal now????  :blink:

Don't think I haven't thought about it!

But no, we're lucky that there's a nice desk lamp over the table where the plating happens, so there's a decent light source. Add some fill-flash from the camera in some circumstances, it's amazing how good it can look even with a simple point-and-shoot. That said, these latest shots were taken with a digital SLR, with a diffuser on the flash. Turns out big glass and a big sensor really does make a difference!

Glad folks are enjoying the pix. Don't mean to rub it in, but it tasted even better than it looked!

philadining.com

This has to be one of the most interesting dining experiences in the US right now. Not only does the food look fantastic and very interesting, the whole concept of the smallness and privateness make for what must be an extremely intimate experience. Whether in a small restaurant,, a private home or a large Michelin 3-star restaurant or equivalent, I find the best meals give a great sense of intimacy along with great food.

Fabulous photos, Philadining!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz