• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cool bars in Paris

John Talbott

Expatica has a description this week of several "cool bars" in Paris. They include:

Le Mange-Disque

58, rue de la Fontaine-au-Roi in the 11th

Rosso Cafe

4, bis rue Neuve-Popincourt in the 11th

La Perle

78, rue Vielle du Temple in the 3rd

Ice Bar

1-5 passage Ruelle in the 18th

Le Bar Ourcq

68, Quai de la Loire in the 19th

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

France today has it's list of Great Hotel Bars of Paris:

The Endlessly Chic-Costes Bar at Hotel Costes,

The Terribly Sexy-Bar at Hotel Crillon,

The Class Act-Bar Fontainbleau at Hotel Meurice,

The Temple of Style-Bar du Plaza Athenee,

The utterly Discreet-Bar Anglais at Hotel Raphael,

The Gentleman's bar-Hemingway bar at the Ritz,

The Impossibly Romantic-Dokhan's Bar at Hotel Trocadero's Dokhan's,

The Suspiciously Mod-The Bar at Murano Urban Resort,

the Decadent-Lutece and Ernest Bars at Hotel Lutetia,

The Anglophile's Choice-Duke's Bar at Hotel Westminister,

The New Kitsch-Ice Cube at Kube Hotel.

The full descriptions of these bars was written by Ken Scrudata

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Not Ken Scrudato, that NY based writer?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The Ritz Hotel has two of my favorite bars anywhere. The Hemingway Bar is a small, clubby place, with background music played on an old Victrola. Colin Field's take on the French 75 is the best I've had, and the Champagne cocktail with a hint of ginger is one of my wife's favorites. The ladies get a rose draped over the edge of their cocktails. We avoid the nights when cigars are featured.

The Vendome Bar in the front of the hotel is the most romantic bar I've seen anywhere. If you go there after dinner, they always have someone playing the piano magnificently. Both places have perfect service and ridiculous prices. I can't wait to go back.

Hemingway is tops. Le Forvm at place de la Madeleine is also excellent, a typical 1930's American style bar, complete with old Chesterfields, Wurlitzers, and a list of 250 cocktails.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The Hemingway is definitely the best(notably for the bloody bullshot) and I have to say that I like the main bar at the Meurice too(although they use viandox for their version rather than fresh boeuf consommé in the Ritz).

Adrian and myself were rather disappointed with the Bar Vendome as it took half an hour to order a minuscule Martini which took us about thirty seconds to drink as we had become EXTREMELY thirsty by then. Nice terrace in the summer, however.

One of my favourite 'Trendy' bars is the Rival on George V, with its selection of about sixty different Vodkas. It is full of mostly french people(unlike many bars in Paris) as it can become very smoky, so is a true taste of parisian nightlife.

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...

I had a long list of bars to try on our last trip, but only made it to the same places: the Ritz Bars, Harry's and the Hotel Lutetia. Le Forum was on my list, and I will definitely try it next time. Other bars that looked interesting were The Duke's Bar, The Polo Club, Le Bristol, The Meurice, Le Rosebud, and the American Bar at La Closerie des Lilas. Any feedback is appreciated.

It is inexcusable that you had to wait that long at the Vendome Bar. I hope you give it another try.

In the Saturday-Sunday Figaro dated April 1-2, the page was devoted to cocktails/bars in Paris, Alexandra Michot suggesting the following, each has proposals for what to drink:

To conclude an affair - the English bar at l’hôtel Raphaël, le Duke’s at the Hôtel Westminster, le Dokhan’s + le Bar Hemingway at the Ritz or le bar at the Park Hyatt Vendome.

For seductionle Fumoir, Gérard au Café du Passage, le Jaipur, the bar at the Hotel Vernet, Le Bar 30 at the Hotel Le Faubourg, or Le China Club.

To be seenPershing Lounge, le bar at the Plaza Athenee, or le Murano.

To hideL’Echelle de Jacob + Vino’s.

To celebrate - Mathis + Baron.

To begin againLa Mascotte.

The top 5 bars were listed as : Le Dokhan’s, Vino’s, Apicius, Le Murano + Le Bar Hemingway du Ritz.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris