• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In L.A. for 3 nights in July

coughy

My husband and I will be in Los Angeles for 3 nights in July.  We will be staying in Beverly Hills and would like recommendations for 3 great memorable dinners.

I love the Firefly Bistro. It's in South Pasadena. The websight is www.eatatfirefly.com. Such a wonderful space. I might call ahead and see how they handle climate control in July.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Best if you start by telling us where you are coming from -- doesn't make any sense to recommend great SoCal Mexican food if you are coming from Mexico, etc... L.A. has some fabulous ethnic cuisines that can't be rivaled in other parts of the country, depending on where you are coming from (the most amazing Japanese, for example).

Standard haute cuisine would include Spago, Patina, Lucques, Bastide, A.O.C., or L'Orangerie - all quite decent...

FYI Bastide is closed, as per LA Times. Mind you, it will re-open at the same location, but with a new name, new decor, new menu, etc.

Check out the 12 Jan. 2006 edition of the LA Times Food Section digest

I second Carolyn's suggestion: please tell us what types of cuisine you're interested in eating. I would also add Grace & the newest restaurant Providence.

Also check out the Los Angeles Area Restaurant Threads

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Thank you for your replies.  We are coming from Northern New Jersey but eat in NYC quite frequently.  Mexican, Thai and Indian are out but we are open to everything else.

coughy, you got me curious why you said no Mexican, Thai and Indian. I bring it up because one of Los Angeles' culinary strengths is its plethora of authentic ethnic cuisines. For example, while you said no Mexican, there's Salvadorean, Cuban, Peruvian, Brazilian, and other Latin American cuisines. Maybe you might want to reconsider & rediscover these ethnic cuisines. Just a thought ...

Back to your topic, you're staying in Beverly Hills, where most of the fine dining restaurants are located. Do you want to try more Asian-influenced restaurants like Matsuhisa? Or the added Hollywood glitz of Spago's, complete with Sherry Yard desserts? Or the newest LA restuarant, Providence with Michael Cimarusti? If you want a traditional, old-school, retro restaurant, LA has that too at Lawry's the Prime Rib.

If you stay longer, we can squeeze some more restaurants in for you. Just let us know.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...