• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Risotto in restaurants

Kent Wang

Lots of restaurants par cook the rice, strain the liquid, leave the rice in a single layer and then at service add the liquid and complete the cooking process. Important to strain and lay the rice out so it doesn't continue cooking too long though. In my experience it isn't as good as making it from scratch but is a decent alternative.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I think there are some which imply it by saying:

Risotto*

*Note: This dish will take at least 20 minutes to cook

It's quite possible that they're making it from scratch then or they might just start making it 15 minutes after it's ordered to give the impression of making it from scratch.

PS: I am a guy.

I worked in one place that made it from scratch to order. Servers usually upsold those who ordered it on a starter since it took so long. It wasn't great risotto, though. I've had parcooked risotto that was far superior--parcooked is quite excellent if prepared with care, including spreading the product on sheet pans in thin layers so it cools quickly and evenly. I've used several techniques for this, and my favorite is one that ran in a Washington Post article on Patrick O'Connell's latest cookbook.

Personally, I think the best risotto is made at home and eaten the moment it's done cooking.

I`ve worked in places where risotto is made from scratch and it does take about 20 minutes. But even in some places where the menu would say that the dish will take that long, the risotto is pre cooked. I don't really think you compromise a lot of flavor this way. You just have to be careful not to overcook it as you re-heat it.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

One place I worked taught us to parcook the risotto, spread it on a sheet pan into a thin layer and chill. For service, it was reheated and finished cooking with the addition of heavy cream, no other liquid to finish. The cream really added something, the risotto never got over-cooked, and I honestly don't think the guests could tell the difference.

However, I still prefer my version made at home and eaten immediately.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I had a chef here in Seattle teach me to toss a few ice cubes in and take it off the heat, then pick back up when you need to (if making it for dinner parties, ect.) I honestly couldn't tell the difference than when I make it at home from scratch.

The best thing is allwais to start from scratch of course but if you don't have time or if you are working in a very busy restaurant here is the perfet tecnique i promise nobody will ever find out!

Most important is the quality of rice (arborio or Carnaroli)cook the chopped challots with oil add rice pour wine and a couple of cups of stock,let it dry on a hi flame until totally dry,chill on a cold table or metal baking pan on a thin layer .it will take no more than 8 minutes to cook next time you use it ,i used this tecnique in the llast 15 years it really helps a lot in a busy night .. :smile: