• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 10/31/2022 at 1:58 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I see these seasonally at a nearby Chinese  market.    No one has been able to tell in (in English) what they are or what to do with them.  Thanks for any clarification.

I presume you are referring to the water caltrops. If you can get them open and like fresh water chestnuts, then you are in luck. You can drop them into soups, stews and hotpots, but most people just eat them from the shell.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I see these seasonally at a nearby Chinese  market.    No one has been able to tell in (in English) what they are or what to do with them.  Thanks for any clarification.

I presume you are referring to the water caltrops. If you cangetthem open and like fresh water chestnuts, then you are in luck. You can drop them into soups, stews and hotpots, but most people just eat them from the shell.