• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamed corn, anyone?

stagis

I'm a bizerko on the subject of fresh corn, so this is sort of an odd request. At breaktime, one of the ladies was bemoaning the change in canned cream corn. I know, I know, in this day and age of fresh herbs and sushi-quality fish I'm being a throwback, but somehow there's nothing like a heap of mashed potatos with a lake of creamed corn on 'em.

So (and I've never made it at home) how DO you make creamed corn? I'll bet it would knock your socks off with fresh corn, which will be one way to use my excess. At this time of year, I buy 2 dozen ears of corn and whatever's left gets cut off the cob and frozen.

Thanks - Rob

I've never made it either, but this is my guess:

Slice off niblets from corn cobs (freshly picked preferred, to maximize the amount of sugar present in the corn), briefly saute them in some unsalted butter; cover and lower heat to medium-low, and cook for about ten to fifteen minutes or until niblets are tender; reserve about a third of the niblets. Add half-and-half or light cream to saucepan and reduce until the cream lightly coats the back of a wooden spoon. While the cream is reducing, puree the reserved niblets in a blender or food processor, adding some light cream if the mixture gets too thick; season to taste with salt and white pepper. Add the pureed corn to the reduced cream/corn mixture, and reduce heat to low, cook for about five to ten more minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning and serve.

I would imagine you'd use heavy cream if you wanted a thicker, more viscous consistency similar to that of the canned version...

Maybe someone who's actually made it could jump in....

SA

Soba's way will work, but here is something to add. Take the corn kernels off of half of your corn cobs by slicing them cleanly with a sharp knife. Place in a bowl and reserve. Take the other half of the cobs and runs the back of your knife down the cob at an angle pressing fairly hard. Do this over a bowl as you will get a lot of fresh corn milk-like liquid that is the germ being extruded from the kernel. This liquid is sweet, creamy and has an intense corn flavor. However, the corn must have picked very recently, as its sugars begin converting to starch as soon as it is harvested.

Following Soba's recipe, I would use this liquid in place of the puree that he has.

Stagis,

I have used this recipe and it is a never fail. I have used it with corn from the market so it is not necessary to worry about fresh-picked, although I agree fresh-picked is the best.

Creamed Corn

4 to 6 Servings

4 to 6 large ears of fresh corn ( 3 cups)

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

3 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional or use less)

2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Using a thin sharp knife, slice the corn kernels from each cob into a large measuring cup, scraping the cobs with the knife to extract any juices, until you have three cups.

2. In a large heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a boil over moderately high heat ( it tends to foam up and boil over, so be ready to stir it down). Add the corn kernels and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to moderately low and boil gently, stirring, until the cream is thick and coats the corn, about 15 minutes.

3. Stir in the parsley and sage. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you are going to hold it for a couple of hour, do not add the butter as the butter will separate on re-heating. (In fact, I made this Saturday night, and didn't even add the butter - it didn't need it.)

The recipe can be made up to three hours ahead. Set aside at room temperature, partially covered. rewarm over moderate heat until hot.

Is creamed corn one of those things (like BBQ Beans) that you rarely, if ever, get a good specimen of? Then you appreciate it much more when you do?

Somewhere there's a topic in this... maybe "Food items that you usually can't find a good example, of but really rule when you do".

Well, maybe.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"