• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eclectic Rehersal Dinner

annecros

My darling stepdaughter is getting married at the end of August at a little resort at Marathon in the Florida Keys. Very small intimate group, about 25 people, and we are booking most of the resort. The resort has a special significance for my stepdaugher and her future husband, as they were trapped last year (at the same time of year that they have set the date for :shock: ) by Katrina.

My mission is to prepare the rehearsal dinner for the bridal party and the guests, 25 total as stated, on the evening before the wedding. The wedding will take place the next morning at sunrise, and then we have a very nice place for brunch booked for after the ceremony.

I love the idea of blending cultural influences and familiar foods from both sides of the family, but here is where it gets tricky. The groom's mother is Japanese, and her husband was Italian America from a large family in upstate NY that centered around food, although his mother prepared traditional Japanese dishes whenever possible for her family. My husband is a German national, and his mother, the bride's "Oma" will be in attendance. My husbands exwife is from West Virginia, and her very West Virginian grandparents will be attending (she doesn't cook, at all). April spent her early childhood in Southwest Georgia, and is very emotionally attached to the foods and desserts she enjoyed there, and loves my traditional southern cooking, although I threw an Italian style "Feast of the Seven Fishes" for the family Christmas Eve, and everyone ate like pigs.

We will be staying in a two bedroom suite at the resort with a "full" kitchen, meaning a four burner stove and oven, dishwasher, standard sized refrigerator and standard microwave. There is a small, separate dining area, but I am anticipating a more casual atmosphere, with people wandering in and out, because there is a balcony with a great view, and lots of outdoor seating. I also have access to several BBQ grills.

So far, all I've settled on is Key Lime Pie for dessert. It is a favorite of both the bride and groom, and can sit and wait in the fridge until called upon. I do know that I will have access to a great deal of fresh seafood from a number of seafood markets in the area that I am familiar with. My husband and I will be arriving the night before rehersal day, I will have all day the day of the rehersal to prepare as other guests arrive from all over the country throughout the day, the rehersal will take place that evening, then eat drink and be merry at hubby and my suite until everyone goes to bed.

I am bringing my food processor for sure, along with my most familiar and comfortable cooking utensils.

My problem is the menu. I have had limited exposure to Japanese cooking, but access to a great many oriental food markets in the area. Hubby likes Tuna Sashimi, so that will happen for sure, but it is a bit exotic for other guests. Also, although I don't know of any, what about those who can't or won't tolerate seafood?

Any suggestions for menu ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to test the recipes well ahead of the big day.

Thanks for any help ANYBODY can offer.

:biggrin:

Hubby likes Tuna Sashimi, so that will happen for sure, but it is a bit exotic for other guests. Also, although I don't know of any, what about those who can't or won't tolerate seafood?

You most certainly have come to the right place, Anne!

How about some ceviche made with local fish? Or even a gravlax as an appetizer? as for those who can not tolerate seafood, maybe something vegetarian in nature?

There are so many variations which would bring in ethnic cuisines ... planning for 25 is not going to be oppressive, just fun and very creative ...

Congratulations! This sounds like a perfect wedding!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hubby likes Tuna Sashimi, so that will happen for sure, but it is a bit exotic for other guests. Also, although I don't know of any, what about those who can't or won't tolerate seafood?

You most certainly have come to the right place, Anne!

How about some ceviche made with local fish? Or even a gravlax as an appetizer? as for those who can not tolerate seafood, maybe something vegetarian in nature?

There are so many variations which would bring in ethnic cuisines ... planning for 25 is not going to be oppressive, just fun and very creative ...

Congratulations! This sounds like a perfect wedding!

I know I've come to the right place!

25 feels comfortable to me, and I think it could be a very nice, memorable, family and friend oriented evening for all. Some of the ethnic food as conversation pieces can help some of the family members get to know each other, I think.

The local fish would be the the best and freshest seafood available at that time of year. Lobster season will not be open then. There is a "Golden" crab that is kind of trendy down there, but I am completely unfamiliar with it, and do not know how it compares with the other crabs I am more familiar with.

Thanks. We are very proud and excited.

As a nod to the German part of the family it may be nice to have a few trays of an assortment (3 or 4 kinds) of German/Austrian cookies. These could be made ahead of time and brought along and would go fine before/after or along with the Key Lime Pie. If you plan on serving coffee you could serve it "mit schlag" after the pie and with the cookies.

My experience in preparing Japanese food is also very limited, but if you wanted to have a Japanese-theme for the appetizers you could include some things like edamame, spiced, cold soba noodles with mushrooms served in raddicchio cups, raw oysters and some vegetarian sushi rolls to serve alongside the tuna sashimi. Stuffed quail eggs with wasabi and garnished with some salmon roe? Mirin or teriaki-glazed salmon satay served on skewers with a dipping sauce. For one hot hors d'oeuvre, vegetable tempura might be doable, especially if you can train or assign someone to make two rounds of these. (I haven't made it in awhile so I'm not sure how far or if these could be made in advance.)

The cookies (and perhaps coffee and whipped cream) and Key Lime Pie 'cover' the Germans and Southerners.

Serve great Italian food for the main course with perhaps a seafood and non-seafood option. Lots of possibilities here, so I'll leave it at that for now.

The initial way I've suggested above somewhat segregates the different traditions but in a way that I think nicely pays noticeable 'homage' to all and in a way that I think could be elegant and pleasing at the same time.

Another way to fit in traditions would be through the drinks. A selection of some nice crisp white german/austrian wines to go with the Japanese appetizers? Or an aperifif of elderberry flower syrup/Champagne with a sparkling mineral water non-alcoholic version? (Geman/Austrian inspired.) Iced tea? Italian wine to go with the main course?

It combines dessert and coffee, but another nice German/Austrian tradition would be to serve "Eis Kaffees". This is a parfait with strong iced coffee, vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. (This could be served instead of the cookies or maybe with just one great simple crisp cookie). It would be easy to have everything prepared for the Eis Kaffees ahead of time and they are very refreshing. Kids could have vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.

Another approach would be to represent each tradition in the appetizers and maybe desserts, but this would be a little trickier to carry off.

This sounds like a lot of fun!

edited to add: If you're interested and need ideas for the German cookie plate, let me know!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Any suggestions for the cookies would be most welcome. I make a great liebkuchen, that only gets better the next day or two, but other ideas would be fun to spring on the Germans. They get the liebkuchen every year at Christmas.

I think the Eis Kaffees sound perfect. After all, everyone can use a shot of caffeine about that time, and it will be HOT at the end of August in the Florida Keys. We are including sample sizes of insect repellant and sunscreen in the goodie bags! I also have an ice cream freezer that I can bring along, and make a homemade vanilla that will bring in some southern there.

Now, here is where I am going to show my absolute ignorance. I am going to have to google search and egullet search your suggestions for the japanese cold dishes in order to get my brain around them! I am much ashamed to admit that I have no idea what cold soba noodles should be, taste like, or are prepared. Now, the raw oysters. Hubby has already suggested those, but I have to keep reminding him that we are the HOSTS, not the guests. I find it hard to deny him anything though, and he will be spending the day with his high strung daughter, running interference between her and former and future in laws, and generally dealing with people that make me want to be in the kitchen communing with the food.

:biggrin:

Thanks for the ideas. Will be attempting to educate myself.

ETA: My husband and Mother in Law are from Hesse. No Austrian cookies, unless I can convincingly pass them off as being invented in Hessen. Although, if they are good, they will convince themselves of that.

Edited by annecros (log)

Congratulations, annecros!!

So far, you want to cover these culinary traditions:

Japanese

Italian

German

Southern

Your menu is going to include (tentatively):

Key lime pie

Cookies (Etwas Gutes mit Schlag oder Spass)

Eis Kaffee

Here are some suggestions/questions:

Are spice cookies (Pfeffernussekuchlein) the same as liebkuchen?

If sushi/sashimi is a bit much for your guests, try rolled sushi with cucumber (kappa maki) or fox sushi (inari-zushi) which is seasoned rice in deep-fried bean curd pouches. The great thing about sushi is making it ahead of time and finding a Japanese platter for a beautiful presentation. Just go to your local library & look at a sushi book with pictures for ideas.

Have you considered hot green tea? Or green tea ice cream? Has the groom and/or his mother mentioned anything about a Japanese tea ceremony? Mind you, that's getting traditional and a bit off-topic. My apologies ...

And it sounds like you got Italian & Southern cookin' down real good, Miss Anne ... :wink:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Any suggestions for the cookies would be most welcome. I make a great liebkuchen, that only gets better the next day or two, but other ideas would be fun to spring on the Germans. They get the liebkuchen every year at Christmas.

ETA: My husband and Mother in Law are from Hesse. No Austrian cookies, unless I can convincingly pass them off as being invented in Hessen. Although, if they are good, they will convince themselves of that.

:smile: I have some ideas for the cookies off the top of my head, but I'd like to peruse a few of my cookbooks before making some specific suggestions.

Soba noodles are Japanese fresh buckwheat noodles that are often served cold in various dressings. There is also "cha-soba" which is additionally flavored and colored with green tea. They are usually garnished pretty simply, but I've seen recipes with green onions and/or mushrooms. Probably some good additional real info on egullet in the Japanese forum. (Radicchio leaves are just an idea for an easy and pretty serving device.) The wasabi stuffed quail (or chicken) eggs were just a cross-cultural idea; salmon eggs are used in various sushi dishes and are pretty as well. Mirin (a sweet Japanase rice wine) or teriyaki glazed salmon is pretty common; should be lots of recipes online. "Satay" was a silly thing for me to say; I was mainly just thinking of serving them on sticks. Edamame are fresh soybeans; usually just boiled in their pods in salted water. If you've not had them; they really are a beautful bright green in color, delicious and are nice slightly warm. One can usually buy these frozen.)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Because it is traditional for the groom's family to give the rehearsal dinner, why not ask his Japanese mother to contribute the Japanese dishes? You could offer to buy the ingredients for her. That way, the groom's family will get what they like and you can concentrate on the cookstyles which are more familiar to you.

I did my daughter's rehearsal dinner, and the groom's mother contributed a big Mexican chicken and tortilla casserole. It was nice to have both families involved.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

May I suggest cracked conch (or conch fritters) and grilled grouper to celebrate the locale. Southern biscuits to eat with the fish.

Or serve it on sandwiches.

Sounds like a fun wedding.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Because it is traditional for the groom's family to give the rehearsal dinner, why not ask his Japanese mother to contribute the Japanese dishes?  You could offer to buy the ingredients for her.  That way, the groom's family will get what they like and you can concentrate on the cookstyles which are more familiar to you.

I did my daughter's rehearsal dinner, and the groom's mother contributed a big Mexican chicken and tortilla casserole.  It was nice to have both families involved.

What Ruth said............

keeps you from trying to do something that you know nothing about. Reduces stress :wink:

You have your hands full enough with the rest and the logistics of pulling it toghether. You do want to have FUN, don't you? :biggrin:

The Hessische dessert for special occassions is the Frankfurter Kranz. But, you would need to make this ahead of time. Are you driving or flying to the hotel? If you are driving you could bring the frozen cake and frozen butter cream with you. This recipe does not include the apricot jam that you spread on the layers before you put the buttercream on the layers.

Here is a picture and recipe (in German).

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Congratulations, annecros!!

So far, you want to cover these culinary traditions:

Japanese

Italian

German

Southern

Your menu is going to include (tentatively):

Key lime pie

Cookies (Etwas Gutes mit Schlag oder Spass)

Eis Kaffee

Here are some suggestions/questions:

Are spice cookies (Pfeffernussekuchlein) the same as liebkuchen?

If sushi/sashimi is a bit much for your guests, try rolled sushi with cucumber (kappa maki) or fox sushi (inari-zushi) which is seasoned rice in deep-fried bean curd pouches. The great thing about sushi is making it ahead of time and finding a Japanese platter for a beautiful presentation. Just go to your local library & look at a sushi book with pictures for ideas.

Have you considered hot green tea? Or green tea ice cream? Has the groom and/or his mother mentioned anything about a Japanese tea ceremony? Mind you, that's getting traditional and a bit off-topic. My apologies ...

And it sounds like you got Italian & Southern cookin' down real good, Miss Anne ...  :wink:

Well, a tea ceremony would be intresting, but I think they are trying to keep it low key and casual. I can handle Italian and Southern, a bit of German is no problem either, it is the Japanese that I am finding myself ignorant in regards to.

:smile: I have some ideas for the cookies off the top of my head, but I'd like to peruse a few of my cookbooks before making some specific suggestions.

Soba noodles are Japanese fresh buckwheat noodles that are often served cold in various dressings. There is also "cha-soba" which is additionally flavored and colored with green tea. They are usually garnished pretty simply, but I've seen recipes with green onions and/or mushrooms. Probably some good additional real info on egullet in the Japanese forum. (Radicchio leaves are just an idea for an easy and pretty serving device.) The wasabi stuffed quail (or chicken) eggs were just a cross-cultural idea; salmon eggs are used in various sushi dishes and are pretty as well. Mirin (a sweet Japanase rice wine) or teriyaki glazed salmon is pretty common; should be lots of recipes online. "Satay" was a silly thing for me to say; I was mainly just thinking of serving them on sticks. Edamame are fresh soybeans; usually just boiled in their pods in salted water. If you've not had them; they really are a beautful bright green in color, delicious and are nice slightly warm. One can usually buy these frozen.)

Consulted with daughter, and she says most definitely soba noodles should be there. She also explained to me that the Edamame are sort of a Japanese answer to boiled peanuts! I guess it is time for me to work with soba noodles, and will definitely visit the Japanese forum for tips.

Thanks.

Are there any traditional cold miso soup recipes? Or would you be willing to serve it warm despite the august heat on Marathon?

That would be fairly straightforward to make and could probably be done ahead, tho'd you also probably need to bring the miso with you...how does the FAA feel about concentrated fermenting beans-in-a-tub? :rolleyes:

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Because it is traditional for the groom's family to give the rehearsal dinner, why not ask his Japanese mother to contribute the Japanese dishes?  You could offer to buy the ingredients for her.  That way, the groom's family will get what they like and you can concentrate on the cookstyles which are more familiar to you.

I did my daughter's rehearsal dinner, and the groom's mother contributed a big Mexican chicken and tortilla casserole.  It was nice to have both families involved.

I would love to include her, but her health is failing right now, and she will already be travelling from the Boston area and driving an hour and a half from the Miami airport to be there arriving rehearsal day. That's sort of how we got flipped over to the rehearsal dinner responsibility in the first place, that and the sunrise wedding thing.

I think I will write her a nice letter, tell her how much we love her son, and ask for her input for ideas though. Good suggestion.

May I suggest cracked conch (or conch fritters) and grilled grouper to celebrate the locale. Southern biscuits to eat with the fish.

Or serve it on sandwiches.

Sounds like a fun wedding.

Grouper should be plentiful. As well as Mahi (dolphin) and probably snapper. I was never fond of conch, but after all it is not all about me, and I am sure there will be guests curious about conch if nothing else.

Hubby was thinking maybe an assortment of various "burgers" to include seafood, portabella, and somehting else, quartered on a platter.

The Hessische dessert for special occassions is the Frankfurter Kranz. But, you would need to make this ahead of time. Are you driving or flying to the hotel? If you are driving you could bring the frozen cake and frozen butter cream with you. This recipe does not include the apricot jam that you spread on the layers before you put the buttercream on the layers.

Wow, hubby's German is still good enough to translate that. Looks like I would need to pull out my Dr. Oetker stuff, and buy that kitchen scale I have coveted for some time now anyway.

Thanks.

Wow, hubby's German is still good enough to translate that. Looks like I would need to pull out my Dr. Oetker stuff, and buy that kitchen scale I have coveted for some time now anyway.

Thanks.

I would definitely recommend Dr. Oetker, if you have it. I go to Germany about every two months, so I am constantly restocking my pantry with things I can't find here.

Are there any traditional cold miso soup recipes? Or would you be willing to serve it warm despite the august heat on Marathon?

That would be fairly straightforward to make and could probably be done ahead, tho'd you also probably need to bring the miso with you...how does the FAA feel about concentrated fermenting beans-in-a-tub? :rolleyes:

Stepdaughter loves miso, and I suppose it may just be light enough to get by in the climate.

Concentrated fermenting beans in a tub? Hmm. Think the West Virginians can handle that one?

Thanks.

I would definitely recommend Dr. Oetker, if you have it. I go to Germany about every two months, so I am constantly restocking my pantry with things I can't find here.

Yeah, I got a crash course in Dr. Oetker when I married into this family. The first Christmas after we were married, I got a box with a Dr. Oetker cookbook, a metric Dr. Oetker measuring cup, and a wide assortment of Dr. Oetker products. I am very fond of the chocolate pudding with vanilla sauce. I have been surprised at the number of Dr. Oetker products popping up in the grocery stores down here over the last year or two, so should be no problem.

I wouldn't know where else to get vanilla sauce powder.

Who was Dr. Oetker anyway?

ETA: I forgot, we are driving down with two vehicles, one a Blazer, the othe a small economy car. We only live about three hours away from the destination, so I could practically take my whole kitchen if I had to. Of course then you have to keep track of everything and pack up to come back. We are planning to stay an extra day at the resort after the festivities, just to bum around.

Edited by annecros (log)

Who was Dr. Oetker anyway?

In 1891 Dr. August Oetker developed the baking powder Backin at his pharmacy in Bielefeld, Germany. Thanks to the quality of the raw materials and the stable ratio of active ingredients, he was able to guarantee housewives perfect baking results every time. With this outstanding innovation Dr. August Oetker laid the foundations for a major business enterprise and for the brand “Dr. Oetker”.

Dr. Oetker

Wow! If my mom had tried to prepare a rehearsal dinner for my wedding she probably would have been in a very similar situation. My mom is Italian, my dad is German and I married a Japanese man....

First off, I would skip anything really "Japanese" especially tastes that people might not be accustomed to. Miso soup doesn't go over really well with those who have never had it before. I would also avoid dishes like sushi rolls and tempura as they need too many ingredients, are very time consuming, not something you can do well on the first try and don't really keep well.

Edamame are a wonderful suggestion, if you have a good grocer you may be able to pick them up fresh. If not frozen are almost just as good. These are incrediblely simple to prepare; boil in salted water, drain and then toss with some more salt. Just remind people that you aren't supposed to eat the pods! These can be prepard hours in advance and set out in small bowls around the eating area. I have yet to see even the pickiest eater turn their nose up at these. Just all around great nibble food.

For a main dish I highly recommend this recipe from Epicurious:

Grilled Salmon with a ponzu sauce and a Vegetable Slaw with Miso dressing

I can't even count how many times I have made this for both Japanese guests in Japan and American friends and relatives in the states. Everyone loves it. It is close enough to teriyaki that most people are familiar with it and everyone loves salmon. The slaw is also a good way to introduce people to miso without scaring them away. It is also incredibly easy as the ponzu sauce can be made the day before and then all you have to do in grill the salmon. The recipe uses salmon fillets which is fine but I also sometimes use a whole side of salmon as it makes for a great presentation (it can be tricky turning though!).

Let me give this some more thought and I will be back!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks Tora! Good advice.

Concerning the Edamame, when you say boil in salted water, do you mean a full blown brine or more the salt level for potatoes or pasta? Also, what sort of texture are you looking for in the finished product? Should the beans pop or crunch in your mouth, or softer?

I can get them fresh all over the place right now. Will have to discuss with the produce people locally to determine how seasonal they are in the area, but frozen was plentiful as well when I checked yesterday.

We have a very large, vital Japanese community in the area, which is nice. The Morikami Museum is 10 minutes away from my home.

http://www.morikami.org/

Wonderful things are done with orchids and pineapple in the area within the community, and I always take out of town guests to the Morikami, and to Butterfly World in a neighboring county.

Anne

ETA: Also, I got a page not found message when I tried to pull up the miso slaw, which intrigues me. I mean, the Germans and the Southerners know all about slaw, so it will be familiar enough that they will try. Could you give me a general idea?

Also, the recipe for the salmon looks like it would adapt well to Mahi. Mahi-Mahi or Dolphin Fish (not the mammal) is probably the most readily available fresh fish in the area, not quite as oily as tuna, a little bit stronger than most salmon with a very salmon/tuna sort of texture. I think it could work, and on the east coast of the US Mahi is associated very strongly with the Keys, and it grills very well.

Thanks again for allowing me to pick your brain. I cannot believe how nice and helpful everyone here is. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to return the favor one day.

ETA: OK, I think I found the slaw somewhere else. Is this it?

http://www.freddyandeddy.com/recipes/salmonponzu.htm

Looks yummy to me. I like the citrus in the Ponzu sauce as well. Kind of gives it a Florida feel.

Edited by annecros (log)

ETA: OK, I think I found the slaw somewhere else. Is this it?

http://www.freddyandeddy.com/recipes/salmonponzu.htm

Looks yummy to me. I like the citrus in the Ponzu sauce as well. Kind of gives it a Florida feel.

Yes that is it!

The only thing though is that in the ingredient list he has 1/3 cup butter (chilled), this is not in the recipe. It must be a typo because he makes no mention of butter in the steps section. I have also never seen a recipe for slaw made with butter.

For the dressing, make sure you use the golden (brown) miso, I once tried to substitute white miso and it made it too sweet and had very little taste.

I also don't have access to jicama in Japan and used daikon instead.

For cooking the fresh edamame for this that Hiroyuki had posted in the Japan forum:

The most important thing to remember is to boil them in a salt solution of about 4 percent. For example, to boil 250 gram of edamame, first use 10 g of salt for shio-momi (don't rinse off the salt), put 1 liter of water and 30 gram of salt in a pan, and boil edamame for 3 to 5 minutes.

I learned this tip from the famous TV show, Tameshite Gatten

http://www.nhk.or.jp/gatten/archive/2004q3/20040714.html

(Japanese only)

This show, Tameshite Gatten, is sort of the Japanese equivalent of Cook's Illustrated, they try various ways of preparing something until they find the best one.

After boiling, drain them then immediately toss them again with more salt before the moisture evaporates or else the salt won't stick. Let them sit for a bit until they become room temperature.