• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: BBQ Pork Egg Foo Young

hzrt8w

Ah Leung, do you not make a "gravy" to go with this type of Egg Foo Young?

Gravy is not used in the classical Chinese cooking. I can tell you what those Americanized Chinese restaurants do to make the brown sauce: just use chicken broth (or some kind of broth) and add oyster sauce and dark soy sauce, then thicken it with corn starch slurry.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

[...] This stuff was good. Customers were never able to duplicate it 'cos they didn't have the same oil as I did. :wink:

Is that the same oil with flavor built-up from being used over and over again for deep-frying stuff? :laugh::laugh:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

[...] This stuff was good. Customers were never able to duplicate it 'cos they didn't have the same oil as I did. :wink:

Is that the same oil with flavor built-up from being used over and over again for deep-frying stuff? :laugh::laugh:

Exactly! But, we changed our deepfryers more frequently than McDonald's so we need the soya sauce for colour! :laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com