• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Table of my Dreams

Carrot Top

My parents let their decorator pick theirs out - what a disaster. The table was pretty enough - cherry wood, substantial. The decorator paired the table with fully upholstered chairs sans arms... but failed to test them first at the table. The table had a piece of wood running all around the table that came down 4" or so. The chairs were too tall, did not have casters..... so first you had to figure out how to shimmy the chair in close enough for dining comfort, then once you banged your knees on that damn piece of wood, you didn't have enough room to cross your legs under the table!

I don't know why they kept it, unless it was some kind of "final sale" (no returns). I hated dining at their house - it was so uncomfortable!

I am a fan of side arms and casters - casters may not be as attractive, but how easy they make it for you and your guests to get up and down from the table comfortably!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

oneday i'll find it.....or find the parts and assemble them, or else it would have to be brought from Czech Rep with a van.  if you have been to CR you'll know the table i'm talking about.  a classic communal monastery table.  long, wide, thick, sturdy, simple and beautiful!

Oh, yeah! Gorgeous, gorgeous things.

The table of my dreams is also long, wide, thick and beautiful; big enough to hold many friends; sturdy enough to withstand wear and spills; simple and beautiful enough to hold my fine china and crystal, or a peasant meal of wine and bread - and not look out of place doing either.

Oddly, every time I've sat at the tables in the main reading room of the NY Public Library, I've coveted them (and their comfy wooden chairs) as a dining table. God, they'd be good.

About three years ago, we had the table of our dreams made.... The top is a 9' x 4.5' slab of black granite and it sits on a wrought iron base. It literally weighs a ton. My wife loves to set a pretty table, and this was something I wanted for her. We never have to use tablecloths anymore :) While it's set for 6 in the picture, it will very comfortably sit 8, and we've entertained 12 without any problem. Just don't ask me to move it!

TableByJan.jpg

We finally found the table of our dreams after looking for many years. I wanted a table that had a pedestal as opposed to legs so that no one ever had to straddle the leg. I also wanted a wide enough table that we could have flowers/candles in the center and still have room for a place setting on both sides. We found Gathering Table at our local design centers sample sale. A bonus is that it goes from 5' long (with no leaves) to 14' long (with all 6 leaves).

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

The Table Of My Dreams is a massive rectangle of ancient wood, long enough for a dozen to gather comfortably, wide enough for two to sit at either end; the walnutty medieval finish darkened by centuries of use, thick, but not too thick to attach a pasta maker or grinder to, nicked and gouged in places. The grain is varied, but there is only one knot on the entire surface. And that knot is grandiose in it's efforts, and beautiful in it's ovoid perfection and mystery. The Table Of My Dreams rests on thick hand turned legs, 6 of them. The finish is waxen, but not overly so; not shiny, and yet, slightly reflective. The accompanying chairs are post modern, plastic and steel, with soft and vibrantly green blue upholstered velvet cushions. My daughter will make some beautiful, organic and yet architectural low sculptures, in a series, and I shall use them to run down the center of this table. My glass serving pieces will be a glistening counterpoint to the solidity and history of this table, and I will serve yebra and hashu, hummous, tabbouleh and immense platters of roasted and stewed vegetables and a number of entire fish, broiled on my newspaper grill and plated on large platters of steel, to my closest family and friends, to welcome The Table Of My Dreams into our midst. Small amuse of panko encrusted and deep fried chicken liver pate will be passed around, along with warm roasted and spiced mixed nuts and a salad of fresh tomatoes from the garden that peeks through the window that The Table Of My Dreams rests by. I will enlist a friend to help me to bake loaf after loaf of breads that day, and muffins as well. I will serve my family and friends a salad that will be discussed for it's complexity for months after, and the red wine will flow for the duration of our "welcome home, table" meal. We will have delicous balls of beef tartare as well. And, in the end, we will have chocolate pots de creme, ginger cookies, various chocolates that have been brought, and the most delicious port and ibrik coffees. We will talk until the morning, drink a lot more, dance, and laugh. The Table Of My Dreams will make my family and friends happy, even if they must crowd around it, as it is only intended for 12 to gather comfortably, as a rule.

edited by me:delicous! hahahaha!

Rebecca, I'd love a seat at your table :smile:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

:rolleyes: Aww! Everyone who knows me knows that ANYONE is always welcome at ANY of my tables, dreamy or otherwise. Heck, I've fed strangers at a 'do not walk' sign! Just last week I fed the postal woman and the census taker! See my quote from Mr. Kolpas below? Resonates deeply within me. And I want to comfort and pamper everyone. So, come on over.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06