• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English? measurements

SweetSide

My daughter, wanting to be independent, has looked up her own recipe for an icing for a Harry Potter cauldren cake. Far be it for me to substitute one of my own...

But, I don't know what a "D" is in the following icing recipe:

1D butter

1D boiling water

50g finely grated chocolate

225g icing sugar

Any help out there from across the pond? Or even not across the pond...

Thanks!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

My best guess would be decilitres, although a capital D isn't the usual notation. [usually 'dl' in my experience] That would be 100ml each of butter and water. Decilitres aren't used much in 'the real world' but they're a part of the metric system as taught in schools &c.

cheers

Derek [transplanted from 'across the pond']

Could it be decaliter?

conversion site

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Dessertspoon?

I only thought this because I made a Delia Smith recipe today that called for a dessertspoon of cornstarch, and I had no idea how much that would be.

Hmm. On reflection, i think your suggestion is a bit more likely, and AFAICR, a dessertspoon is about 10ml. A more likely quantity for making a cake frosting, I guess.

cheers

Derek

Are you certain it was "D"?

Yep, certain it was a D.

My best guess would be decilitres, although a capital D isn't the usual notation. [usually 'dl' in my experience] That would be 100ml each of butter and water. Decilitres aren't used much in 'the real world' but they're a part of the metric system as taught in schools &c.

cheers

Derek [transplanted from 'across the pond']

Thanks -- that's what we thought too, and I wouldn't have been at all confused if I had seen a dl.

Could it be decaliter?

conversion site

Thanks for the conversion site -- I've bookmarked that one!

We're on winter break, so we'll be making the cakes this week. If the frosting comes out a soupy mess, we'll know it wasn't deciliter! :wink:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Dessertspoon?

I only thought this because I made a Delia Smith recipe today that called for a dessertspoon of cornstarch, and I had no idea how much that would be.

Hmm. On reflection, i think your suggestion is a bit more likely, and AFAICR, a dessertspoon is about 10ml. A more likely quantity for making a cake frosting, I guess.

cheers

Derek

Hmm is right.... Now that I know what a Dessertspoon is -- other than a favorite eating utentsil -- that may make more sense. 10 ml is a far cry from the 100 ml for the deciliter. I'll start with the Dessertspoon and depending on what I end up with can always add more.

May have just averted that soupy mess! :laugh:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

My daughter, wanting to be independent, has looked up her own recipe for an icing for a Harry Potter cauldren cake.  Far be it for me to substitute one of my own...

But, I don't know what a "D" is in the following icing recipe:

You may find your answer here:

Clickety

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.