• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Spotlight Forum Conversation with Spiro Baltas

Fat Guy

We absolutely try to cater to many dietary needs – that’s the great thing about having a menu with so many items and the freedom to create your own dishes.  We have many items that are not always listed on the menu, such as tofu or truffles, which are either seasonal or rotating.  You can always ask at our locations for tofu on your sandwich or salad.

With so many different ingredients on the menu, how do you keep them all fresh?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Consumer markets in general have been moving towards an hourglass shape over the past decade.  Whereas the majority of the market used to be firmly in the middle, growth is now concentrated on the inexpensive end and the high end.  The restaurant business has mirrored this trend, and I think it will continue to do so.  So, I think the high-end of the market will continue to expand, and I think we are among the leaders of that expansion.

I'm not going to digress here on whether this "disappearing middle" phenomenon--which manifests itself in many different arenas besides consumer goods--might or might not be good for American society in the long run, as that is both off-topic and would produce an interminably long and dense discussion.

But given that you appear to have come up with a winning high-end sandwich shop model--I'm not surprised that the mix-and-match concept has proven to work for Starwich, as your target customers are the kind that crave variety and the new and different--I do wonder why Philadelphia seems to have dropped off your short list of early-stage expansion markets, since it had been among them (at least that was my interpretation of the information on your Web site).

I am very much aware of this city's rich sandwich tradition, which is tightly bound up with its heritage as a blue-collar industrial center, and admit that both those factors and the popularity of the sandwiches in question might make entry into this market more difficult than one might suspect at first. Yet this same city also supports a quite vibrant upscale dining scene, which suggests that the audience for your product is here and maybe even receptive to it. After all, Cosí hasn't gone broke here selling decent sandwiches with good quality ingredients on unusual bread for a somewhat inflated price; by comparison, given what you offer on the mix-and-match list, $8.50 is not expensive at all.

I should perhaps confess to the same sort of puzzlement the Kansas Citians who have posted here have, for similar reasons: besides being a native of that city, I have noted that both my original and adopted hometowns share world-class municipal inferiority complexes which have proven hard to shake off as both have gotten more interesting--or more comfortable with their own essences--over the years.

Nonetheless, it still rankles me just a little bit that the second-largest market on the East Coast is a third-stage expansion target.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hi John,

After being in business for a while you get a chance to compile reports on how each item sells. Our POS system allows us to track day-to-day sales and determine what we need to order to maintain our well stocked options.

We absolutely try to cater to many dietary needs – that’s the great thing about having a menu with so many items and the freedom to create your own dishes.  We have many items that are not always listed on the menu, such as tofu or truffles, which are either seasonal or rotating.   You can always ask at our locations for tofu on your sandwich or salad.

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hi Sandy,

You are certainly right; Philadelphia has both a long sandwich history as well as a great upscale culinary scene. We are planning on opening there right after Boston and DC with the hopes that all three cities will have locations within just months of each other. We hope to have a store in your adopted city by early next year!

Consumer markets in general have been moving towards an hourglass shape over the past decade.  Whereas the majority of the market used to be firmly in the middle, growth is now concentrated on the inexpensive end and the high end.  The restaurant business has mirrored this trend, and I think it will continue to do so.  So, I think the high-end of the market will continue to expand, and I think we are among the leaders of that expansion.

I'm not going to digress here on whether this "disappearing middle" phenomenon--which manifests itself in many different arenas besides consumer goods--might or might not be good for American society in the long run, as that is both off-topic and would produce an interminably long and dense discussion.

But given that you appear to have come up with a winning high-end sandwich shop model--I'm not surprised that the mix-and-match concept has proven to work for Starwich, as your target customers are the kind that crave variety and the new and different--I do wonder why Philadelphia seems to have dropped off your short list of early-stage expansion markets, since it had been among them (at least that was my interpretation of the information on your Web site).

I am very much aware of this city's rich sandwich tradition, which is tightly bound up with its heritage as a blue-collar industrial center, and admit that both those factors and the popularity of the sandwiches in question might make entry into this market more difficult than one might suspect at first. Yet this same city also supports a quite vibrant upscale dining scene, which suggests that the audience for your product is here and maybe even receptive to it. After all, Cosí hasn't gone broke here selling decent sandwiches with good quality ingredients on unusual bread for a somewhat inflated price; by comparison, given what you offer on the mix-and-match list, $8.50 is not expensive at all.

I should perhaps confess to the same sort of puzzlement the Kansas Citians who have posted here have, for similar reasons: besides being a native of that city, I have noted that both my original and adopted hometowns share world-class municipal inferiority complexes which have proven hard to shake off as both have gotten more interesting--or more comfortable with their own essences--over the years.

Nonetheless, it still rankles me just a little bit that the second-largest market on the East Coast is a third-stage expansion target.

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hi John,

After being in business for a while you get a chance to compile reports on how each item sells.  Our POS system allows us to track day-to-day sales and determine what we need to order to maintain our well stocked options.

We absolutely try to cater to many dietary needs – that’s the great thing about having a menu with so many items and the freedom to create your own dishes.  We have many items that are not always listed on the menu, such as tofu or truffles, which are either seasonal or rotating.  You can always ask at our locations for tofu on your sandwich or salad.

Thanks, Spiro. So if something isn't selling very frequently and has a short shelf life will it be removed from the menu? At what point are slower selling ingredients removed from the pantry?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Mr. Baltas -

I can't help but notice the similarity between your business name and that of a well known retail coffee giant.

1) Is it coincidental and if so how did you arrive at such a name?

2) Did you face any court challenges in using the name?

I'm a self-admitted coffee and espresso aficionado who bemoans the poor quality of coffee offered not only at the aforementioned chain but also at places like Cosi and Panera Bread. Often I find myself wanting a cup of excellent coffee but choose other beverages when I'm in such places.

How are you sourcing your coffee, ensuring freshness, proper brewing etc. and also ensuring that it rises above the level of that offered by other food purveyors?

Hello Owen,

I’m not quite sure which coffee giant you are referring too – wink, wink 

Because I too often have a hard time finding good coffee in other lunch places, it was important for me to ensure that our guests could get a good cup of coffee with their meal. We have chosen to link up with Illy Coffee to provide us with our coffee and espresso. Illy’s quality, attention to detail and regular calibrations of our coffee machines helps us ensure that we can provide you an excellent cup of coffee.

Mr. Baltas - 

I can't help but notice the similarity between you business name and that of a well known retail coffee giant.

1) Is it coincidental and if so how did you arrive at such a name?

2) Did you face any court challenges in using the name?

I'm a self-admitted coffee and espresso aficionado who bemoans the poor quality of coffee offered not only at the aforementioned chain but also at places like Cosi and Panera Bread.  Often I find myself wanting a cup of excellent coffee but choose other beverages when I'm in such places.

How are you sourcing your coffee, ensuring freshness, proper brewing etc. and also ensuring that it rises above the level of that offered by other food purveyors?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

There are certainly more eccentric items that do not sell at the same rate as the more popular items. We would not remove an item just because it does not sell as much as others. This variety is what makes Starwich unique. Our concern for cost and desire to avoid waste drives our purchasing, however we would never compromise freshness.

Hi John,

After being in business for a while you get a chance to compile reports on how each item sells.  Our POS system allows us to track day-to-day sales and determine what we need to order to maintain our well stocked options.

We absolutely try to cater to many dietary needs – that’s the great thing about having a menu with so many items and the freedom to create your own dishes.  We have many items that are not always listed on the menu, such as tofu or truffles, which are either seasonal or rotating.   You can always ask at our locations for tofu on your sandwich or salad.

Thanks, Spiro. So if something isn't selling very frequently and has a short shelf life will it be removed from the menu? At what point are slower selling ingredients removed from the pantry?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Spiro, what general advice or tips would you give about making a real good sandwich at home? Any "tricks of the trade" for us serious foodies of the eGullet Society?

I'm curious about your favorites. Do you have a favorite Starwich sandwich? What would be your favorite sandwich to make at home if you're going to eat it right away, and what would it be to pack for a picnic?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hi Spiro,

Just went to the Starwich web site and saw that one of the new locations in NYC will be on the Upper West Side. I am really excited to have a Starwich in my neighborhood. Where will it be located?

Also, I work in the Union Square area. Since 'wichcraft closed my sandwich choices have pretty much been limited to coffee shops. I know the area is way high rent, but I'd love to be able to get a starwich for lunch.

Hi Spiro,

Just went to the Starwich web site and saw that one of the new locations in NYC will be on the Upper West Side.  I am really excited to have a Starwich in my neighborhood.  Where will it be located?

Also, I work in the Union Square area.  Since 'wichcraft closed my sandwich choices have pretty much been limited to coffee shops.  I know the area is way high rent, but I'd love to be able to get a starwich for lunch.

Hey, Spiro!

Like Mike, I'm excited to be getting a Starwich in my neighborhood (UES) in the (near?) future. I have a question to add to his - will the uptown joints differ in any way from the ambience you've worked to create further downtown?

As you know, the UES is pretty residential, and I would imagine that most of your weekday traffic would be stay-at-home parents with kids in tow and self-employed, freelancer types (much like what I already find at, say, DTUT on 2nd Avenue). In light of this, do you have any plans to tweak the design of the shops to accomodate a higher volume of stroller traffic and loads of laptops? Any plans for mid-afternoon story hour type activities?

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Hi Jason,

Actually, we ended up not rolling out the smart card as a response to our customers.  When we were designing the concept, we felt that consumers would come in and create their own salads and sandwiches, and consistently order the same thing.  We have found, however, that our customers are continually creating new recipes.  Few people order the same thing time after time, so the smart card was not as useful to our customers as we had predicted.  With the exception of the smart card, the concept, including the vast selection of ingredients, has stayed consistent from day one.

Thanks Spiro. As a follow up to my original question, how much percentage of business do you see from the pre-set specialty sandwiches and salads versus the create-your-owns? Are those numbers different during lunch time than from dinner? And have you witnessed any production issues related to customer confusion or indecisiveness with the long ingredient card?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hello Susan,

I think the key to making a good sandwich at home is having great bread and toasting it (with the ingredients) in your oven. I really enjoy a well toasted sandwich.

My favorite sandwich at the store is a toss up between the Soft Shell Crab BLT and the Pulled Duck Confit Sandwich.

When making a sandwich at home I tend to use more sauces and cooked vegetables. However when I am packing for a picnic I often omit many of the sauces and use raw vegetables. I would use goat cheese or another soft cheese like Camembert as a spread in place of other sauces to avoid making the bread soggy. Another option when doing a picnic is to keep certain sauces or other ingredients on the side to add later when it is time to eat.

Spiro, what general advice or tips would you give about making a real good sandwich at home?  Any "tricks of the trade" for us serious foodies of the eGullet Society?

I'm curious about your favorites.  Do you have a favorite Starwich sandwich?  What would be your favorite sandwich to make at home if you're going to eat it right away, and what would it be to pack for a picnic?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

As for the Steve Shaw, I’m not quite sure about the complete ingredient list, but it will definitely feature bacon.
If I may be so bold as to suggest: Double smoked bacon on bacon bread with bacon dressing?

--

As for the Steve Shaw, I’m not quite sure about the complete ingredient list, but it will definitely feature bacon.
If I may be so bold as to suggest: Double smoked bacon on bacon bread with bacon dressing?

Don't forget a little extra bacon on the side :raz:

Twitter - @docsconz

Mr. Baltas, given your background in hotel restaurants, restaurant groups and restaurant consulting, and now your involvement with Starwich, have you encountered any negativity with your plans for expansion as being too "corporate," in the unfortunate sense of the word? Do you have fears that by the time Starwich store #100 comes along, people will start saying, "Starwich isn't as good as it used to be. It's gone corporate"? Or is that kind of thinking a bit premature for someone who's trying to open store #1 or even store #5?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Spiro likes you all so much he's going to give you free sandwiches!

We have 20 sandwich/salad coupons (each coupon good for one Starwich salad or sandwich) to give away to participants in this week's eG Spotlight Forum Conversation. We'll be giving 2 of them to each of 10 eGullet Society members who participate in the conversation.

Just shoot me a PM and say that you'd like to be in the drawing for the Starwich coupons. Please only do so if your travel plans are going to take you to New York, NY or Boston, MA in the next few months or you already live in one of those areas. We'll pick 10 names from that list and inform the recipients on Friday. Starwich will mail the coupons to the winners.

(Members only. Staff not eligible.)

Good luck!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hi Spiro! Thanks for participating in this great conversation with all of us.

I run a school and know that, when I walk into another school, I can see things that most people don't see. As a successful restauranteur, can you tell us a bit about what you see when you walk into another restaurant that we might not notice? What stands out to you? What peeves do you have? Is there anything easy to fix that nearly everyone out there does wrong? :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

We have 20 sandwich/salad coupons (each coupon good for one Starwich salad or sandwich) to give away to participants in this week's eG Spotlight Forum Conversation. We'll be giving 2 of them to each of 10 eGullet Society members who participate in the conversation.

Just shoot me a PM and say that you'd like to be in the drawing for the Starwich coupons. Please only do so if your travel plans are going to take you to New York, NY or Boston, MA in the next few months or you already live in one of those areas. We'll pick 10 names from that list and inform the recipients on Friday. Starwich will mail the coupons to the winners.

Good luck!

I suppose delivery is out of the question? :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Hi Megan,

As of right now we do not have any plans for story hours but we are always open to suggestions.

All of our stores vary in size, anywhere from 4,000 sq ft to 12,000 sq ft. Right now we are really happy with the layout of our Wall Street location, which is 16,000 sq ft. After experimenting with lots of different sizes the 16,000 sq ft allow for a lot of foot as well as stroller traffic. The larger locations also will allow for more leisurely lunches and will accommodate those who want to work through lunch on their laptops.

Hi Spiro,

Just went to the Starwich web site and saw that one of the new locations in NYC will be on the Upper West Side.   I am really excited to have a Starwich in my neighborhood.  Where will it be located?

Also, I work in the Union Square area.  Since 'wichcraft closed my sandwich choices have pretty much been limited to coffee shops.  I know the area is way high rent, but I'd love to be able to get a starwich for lunch.

Hey, Spiro!

Like Mike, I'm excited to be getting a Starwich in my neighborhood (UES) in the (near?) future. I have a question to add to his - will the uptown joints differ in any way from the ambience you've worked to create further downtown?

As you know, the UES is pretty residential, and I would imagine that most of your weekday traffic would be stay-at-home parents with kids in tow and self-employed, freelancer types (much like what I already find at, say, DTUT on 2nd Avenue). In light of this, do you have any plans to tweak the design of the shops to accomodate a higher volume of stroller traffic and loads of laptops? Any plans for mid-afternoon story hour type activities?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hi Mike,

We are moving along and hope to have stores in many different pockets throughout New York City in the next couple of years. It shouldn’t be long till you have a Starwich near home and near work!

Hi Spiro,

Just went to the Starwich web site and saw that one of the new locations in NYC will be on the Upper West Side.  I am really excited to have a Starwich in my neighborhood.  Where will it be located?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

On average we have a pretty even split of create your own versus signature creations.

We have not had many problems with our production from those who are creating their own salads and sandwiches. I think that often the first time it takes our guests a bit longer to decide what they want but after their initial visit they are comfortable with the system and really appreciate the variety.

Hi Jason,

Actually, we ended up not rolling out the smart card as a response to our customers.  When we were designing the concept, we felt that consumers would come in and create their own salads and sandwiches, and consistently order the same thing.  We have found, however, that our customers are continually creating new recipes.  Few people order the same thing time after time, so the smart card was not as useful to our customers as we had predicted.  With the exception of the smart card, the concept, including the vast selection of ingredients, has stayed consistent from day one.

Thanks Spiro. As a follow up to my original question, how much percentage of business do you see from the pre-set specialty sandwiches and salads versus the create-your-owns? Are those numbers different during lunch time than from dinner? And have you witnessed any production issues related to customer confusion or indecisiveness with the long ingredient card?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hello Russell,

Our number one focus is on maintaining quality which is really the driving force behind what we set out to do. We are committed to keeping true and consistent to this. We feel that too often companies loose sight of their original plan as they expand.

We intend that by the time store #100 opens we will still be providing high quality, unique, fresh ingredients, with great service and a great overall experience for our guests.

Mr. Baltas, given your background in hotel restaurants, restaurant groups and restaurant consulting, and now your involvement with Starwich, have you encountered any negativity with your plans for expansion as being too "corporate," in the unfortunate sense of the word? Do you have fears that by the time Starwich store #100 comes along, people will start saying, "Starwich isn't as good as it used to be. It's gone corporate"? Or is that kind of thinking a bit premature for someone who's trying to open store #1 or even store #5?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Good luck!

I suppose delivery is out of the question? :wink:

Yeah, and I suppose a shipment to Florida is out of the question, too..... :sad:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Spiro, we've talked a lot about sandwiches. But you're indicating that salads are also a big part of your sales and your corporate philosophy. What interesting tidbits can you tell us about salads? Is a salad just a sandwich without the bread? Can you get bacon in a salad? How about slab bacon? That's really good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)