• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Tonight

jrichman

If you havent been to Celeste yet.. I would tell you to go there.. It has been written about a lot on this site..They have good pizza and homemade pasta.. Gennaro is another option.. I have never been, but have good things..

You could catch the M116 across to Patsy's on First Avenue. That's the closest edible pizza to Columbia.

Also near Columbia is Max's SoHa. A "red sauce" Italian-American place.

Regional is pretty good Italian down on 98th Street, as is Gennaro in the same general area (I think Regional is better than Gennaro).

Anywhere else worth going in the pizza or Italian category, like the excellent Celeste or 'Cesca or that sort of thing, will be further away from Columbia than the aforementioned Patsy's over in East Harlem.

For whatever it's worth, Columbia really isn't in the "Upper West Side" per se, which ends at 110th Street. So most anything UWS will be somewhat significantly South of there.

--

[...]For whatever it's worth, Columbia really isn't in the "Upper West Side" per se, which ends at 110th Street.  So most anything UWS will be somewhat significantly South of there.

As a native of the Upper West Side, I would have to disagree with you, despite the technicalities. We always consider the Upper West Side to extend to 125 St. west of Amsterdam.

Does anyone like Sal & Carmine's anymore?

Michael aka "Pan"

Pizzabolla on Amsterdam&92nd is so so so SO much better than the UWS Patsy's. As a matter of fact I believe Pizzabolla is one of the better pie's in the city, and they do damn fine ceasar salad and garlic bread as well.

[...]For whatever it's worth, Columbia really isn't in the "Upper West Side" per se, which ends at 110th Street.  So most anything UWS will be somewhat significantly South of there.

As a native of the Upper West Side, I would have to disagree with you, despite the technicalities. We always consider the Upper West Side to extend to 125 St. west of Amsterdam.

Me too, The rest of the city hadn't actually found Washington Heights until this decade. Instead of having to explain where it was to people when I was growing up I just said the UWS. :raz:

-Mike & Andrea

Me too, The rest of the city hadn't actually found Washington Heights until this decade. Instead of having to explain where it was to people when I was growing up I just said the UWS. :raz:

Ah well, my post did risk getting this thread off onto this geographical tangent, but let me note for the record that 125 St. is way, way south of Washington Heights. And now, folks, let's get back to discussions of dinner, please. :raz:

Michael aka "Pan"

Well, after much debate we decided to go to Carmines. There were 4 of us and we ordered the following: Salad, Garlic Bread, Rigatoni w/ Marinara Sauce, and Chicken Parm. The food was delicious. Thanks for all the other recomendations. I plan to try a few of the places dicussed in this thread next time I am in the area (or should I say next time I am in the Upper West Side!)