• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant dress code?

thdad

I have a dinner reservation at Per Se next week and would like to know what the proper attire would be? Would I be okay with a jacket with shirt but no tie? How 'casual' could you go?

In addition, for other top tier restaurants in NYC, would a blazer with no tie be okay?

Thanks for your input.

I've found diners at NYC's "fanciest" restaurants in only slacks and a blazer. With that said, I tend toward the suit or suit jacket with a tie simply because I prefer it. You might feel slightly underdressed in just a blazer but not obnoxiously out of place.

I have a dinner reservation at Per Se next week and would like to know what the proper attire would be?  Would I be okay with a jacket with shirt but no tie?  How 'casual' could you go?

In addition, for other top tier restaurants in NYC, would a blazer with no tie be okay?

Thanks for your input.

Wear a tie. If you feel overdressed when you're there, you can always take it off.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Hey, I've seen people in NYC restaurants wearing a tie and little else - be comfortable enjoy.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I think you'll be perfectly comfortable without a tie just about anywhere. (I rarely wear a tie, and I never feel out of place.)

It's surprising, but while New York is more stylish than many other places in the US, it's much less "dressy".

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I think you'll be perfectly comfortable without a tie just about anywhere.  (I rarely wear a tie, and I never feel out of place.)

It's surprising, but while New York is more stylish than many other places in the US, it's much less "dressy".

Very true! I just told someone who is coming here for a visit, that the best way to have the "tourist!" spotlight turned on her was to arrive at dinner dressed up in a flouncy outfit, lots of makeup and jewelry, and her hair in a 'do.

Anyway, Mr. FFB always errs on the side of "better to be more dressed than less." Me, I just wear whatever is clean and fits. :rolleyes:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office