• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Yoda

Yoda

Added 3. question

Hi, I'm very new to baking cakes and need a little help deciding what kind of pan to get.

I found a store that sells (PME) anodised aluminium cak pans with removable or solid bottom and of different heights for the same diameters.

I was wondering which height should I get?

1. If I get a pan with higher sides, could there be a problem while baking if my batter only fills a third or half of the pan?

2. If a recipe calls for two pans to bake cakes in, could I just use one pan with sufficient higher edges to bake one high cake and then cut it into two layers?

Or will I increase the risk of cake sinking,baking this way?

(I'm refering to this recipe in particular - seems a bit of a waste buying two identical pans, but am willing to if I have to)

Would I have to adjust the temperature and baking time baking this way?

3. Is there any reason to opt for either the pan with removable bottom or solid one?

Yoda

Yoda

Hi, I'm very new to baking cakes and need a little help deciding what kind of pan to get.

I found a store that sells (PME) anodised aluminium cak pans with removable or solid bottom and of different heights for the same diameters.

I was wondering which height should I get?

1. If I get a pan with higher sides, could there be a problem while baking if my batter only fills a third or half of the pan?

2. If a recipe calls for two pans to bake cakes in, could I just use one pan with sufficient higher edges to bake one high cake and then cut it into two layers?

Or will I increase the risk of cake sinking,baking this way?

(I'm refering to this recipe in particular - seems a bit of a waste buying two identical pans, but am willing to if I have to)

Would I have to adjust the temperature and baking time baking this way?