• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuji's on 4th

LordBalthazar

Other Japanese restaurants may get the press, the visiting Hollywooders, or the "kick it back" crowd, but, for my money, nothing beats Yuji's. Owner Yuji (formerly of Yaletown's Sakana) has fashioned an inspired menu which includes everything from inventive maki through Japanese-style tapas to top-notch sashimi.

Whenever I go, I order my usual favorites - but always make it a point to check out the specials listed on the top sheet. Tonight, four menu items caught our eye: the beef tendon kimchee soup, the wild boar cheeks, the pink sea scallops with spinach served with cod roe mayonnaise, and the anago tempura. Naturally assuming this could have been the last meal of our lives (You never know, right?) we complimented those with a couple of our faves: the maguro mille-feuille and the maguro avocado crepe. It was only after I had placed our order that I thought to ask about any specials that, perhaps, weren't listed on the menu. Our affable waiter informed us that the kitchen had a few servings of what he described as "the yellow-green cream inside the crab" - what I've always referred to by the simpler moniker "crab guts". And one of those, please.

The maguro mille-feuille was the first to arrive - mouth-meltingly fresh tuna sashimi slices alternating with sliced avocado, topped with a black sesame sauce. It's no longer on the regular menu but if you ask for it, they'll make it. We followed that with the boar cheeks - thinly sliced, grilled, and exceedingly tender. My "crab guts" were next - a tapas portion of the orange "cream" topping a bed of crab chunks, seaweed, the whole served with a ponzu sauce. I loved the guts but found the ponzu sauce just a tad overpowering. Still, I enjoyed it enough that I would order it again if it were available. I preferred it over the off-the-menu special I ventured to try on my last visit: the cod sperm. No. I'm not kidding. And, to be perfectly honest, it was good. I just preferred the crab guts.

The beef tendon kimchee soup is my wife's favorite. It was a bit mushroom-heavy for my liking, but nice and spicy - and very tasty. The pink sea scallops were the only real misstep that night. Although the scallops themselves (and the accompanying spinach) were nice, they were overwhelmed by the cod roe mayo. The maguro avocado crepe, like the maguro mille-feuille, is another dish that simply melts in your mouth. Finally, we ended our meal with the anago tempura - the large sea eel lightly fried and topped with a sweet sauce (that I believe usually accompanies the unagi). Although we were already stuffed by the time it arrived, it was all gone by the time we got the bill.

Other favorites we didn't get around to ordering this time (but I would highly recommend) include: the sweet potato tempura sticks, the deep-fried spicy tuna roll, the prosciutto roll (along with its pesto accompaniment), and the "table-torched" Kobe beef.

You can no doubt find cheaper Japanese fare in the city, but in terms of quality and creativity, you can't find better than Yuji's.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I second the recommendation of Yuji's. While I'm not as adventurous as LordBalthazar for delving into various guts and roe cream, their menu features wonderful offerings of the sort I am comfortable with - my favourite is a wasabi fried roll of both tuna and salmon sushi - the fish is raw sushi just slightly warmed by the lightly fried wasabi/nori wrapping. Can't remember details of other dishes there right now but ingredients are very fresh and attempts at 'fusion' sushi are largely successful. Next time I'm there I will take notes!!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

My Haligonian brother-in-law tells me the goopy stuff is called tomally.

If you like it, you should try it sometime at a Chinese restaurant when you order salt and pepper deep fried whole crabs. The legs are all taken out and fried separately, and then you get the shell itself with the tomally fried inside it. It's a little rich to have on a regular basis, but whoo boy, does it ever make a great treat.

Or you could just call it crab miso, like the Japanese refer to it (kani miso). Sounds nicer than either tomally or "crab guts."

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Or you could just call it crab miso, like the Japanese refer to it (kani miso). Sounds nicer than either tomally or "crab guts."

Okay. So instead of the less appetizing "crab guts", I'll refer to it as kani miso or tomally. Now, if someone could offer a more palatable alternate name for the cod sperm...

I've been feeling lately that I was a personal cheerleader for the restaurant. Glad to hear that someone else loves it too! If I had done that CBC On the Coast interview about favourite Vancouver restaurants, I would have named Yuji's as my current fav. I've gone about 4 times, and have enjoyed everything I've had there so far. Taka-san's daily roll creation has been good to me both times I've orderred it. One was a trio of rolls, each using a different colour of tobiko (flying fish roe). Really pretty, and tasty. I'll have pics of my most recent trip posted fairly soon on my blog.

Nancy

Now, if someone could offer a more palatable alternate name for the cod sperm...

Isn't that shirako? Or maybe shirako is fugu milt. I can never remember....

Yes, that's it! Shirako! They told me the name (more than once) the last time I was there and I kept forgetting. Such is my gift for languages. I've been trying to teach myself Japanese for some time now. After two years, I finally possess the verbal skills of a four year old.

Yes, that's it!  Shirako!  They told me the name (more than once) the last time I was there and I kept forgetting.  Such is my gift for languages.  I've been trying to teach myself Japanese for some time now.  After two years, I finally possess the verbal skills of a four year old.

Well, you're doing better than I am, and I've been living in Japan (on and off) for 7 years! I'm maybe at a 2 or 3 year old level...

Shirako is one of those things I had never cared for, until I tried it grilled in a bit of butter. If you can get it that way, it's almost reminiscent of foie gras :wub:

Yes, that's it!  Shirako!  They told me the name (more than once) the last time I was there and I kept forgetting.  Such is my gift for languages.  I've been trying to teach myself Japanese for some time now.  After two years, I finally possess the verbal skills of a four year old.

Well, you're doing better than I am, and I've been living in Japan (on and off) for 7 years! I'm maybe at a 2 or 3 year old level...

Shirako is one of those things I had never cared for, until I tried it grilled in a bit of butter. If you can get it that way, it's almost reminiscent of foie gras :wub:

That sounds terrific (or, should I say, "oishi-so"). We had poached and steamed, but never grilled. Will have to make a special request next time.

LordBalthazar your taste in Japanese restaurant is tops! But most importantly your choice of dog breed is even better!!!!

I like the service at Yuji as well. The gentleman server there (I always forget to ask his name) is super attentive and friendly. He use to work at Wabi Sabi. I agree with Ling, more than half of my orders are from the daily specials.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

I like the service at Yuji as well. The gentleman server there (I always forget to ask his name) is super attentive and friendly. He use to work at Wabi Sabi.  I agree with Ling, more than half of my orders are from the daily specials.

I love him too! I ate at Wabi Sabi a few years ago, and had such good service that I remembered him when I saw him at Yuji's!

LordBalthazar your taste in Japanese restaurant is tops!  But most importantly your choice of dog breed is even better!!!! 

I like the service at Yuji as well. The gentleman server there (I always forget to ask his name) is super attentive and friendly. He use to work at Wabi Sabi.  I agree with Ling, more than half of my orders are from the daily specials.

He is great (and shame on me for forgetting his name). We used to frequent Wabi Sabi regularly. I loved the green tea creme brulee that would be hidden away in the lid of the serving bowl so that when you lifted it, you'd initially assumed they'd mixed up your order.

Your dog is cutie. My three: Jelly as Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie, Maximus is the cowboy, and Bubba is the wizard. No other breed displays such a passion for food - so me and my pugs have a lot in common.

LordBalthazar your taste in Japanese restaurant is tops!  But most importantly your choice of dog breed is even better!!!! 

He is great (and shame on me for forgetting his name). We used to frequent Wabi Sabi regularly. I loved the green tea creme brulee that would be hidden away in the lid of the serving bowl so that when you lifted it, you'd initially assumed they'd mixed up your order.

The male server's name is Tomo.

(I loved the green tea brulee at Wabi Sabi too! Creative presentation.)