• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sick of "Sourcing"

Busboy

I suppose that this is a bit OT of busboy's theme, but: I don't care for the word "healthy" when it's used to describe portion size. What does that mean, exactly? If it's pasta, am I only getting a half cup, because THAT'S what a "healthy" portion is supposed to be, and I don't want a "healthy" 1/2 cup, I want a big plateful! A "healthy" drizzle, well, THAT really takes the breath out of me! WHAT, do tell, is a "healthy" drizzle of chocolate sauce? Does that mean that the sauce is made with 78% cocoa, or, even healthier, NO SUGAR? :blink: I have read this word used as a menu description three times in the past month, and it's annoying the usually un-annoyable me. :rolleyes:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I suppose that this is a bit OT of busboy's theme, but: I don't care for the word "healthy" when it's used to describe portion size. What does that mean, exactly?

According to Webster's fourth definition, it means "not small or feeble : considerable."

Funny, if I was promised a healthy portion, I would expect a large amount. Is it really being used on menus to mean the opposite? Our language has been betrayed.

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Oh, that's rich! I completely think of apple cheeked farmers and the food pyramid when I hear the word! Must be all the hospital chatter I've been filled with this past year!

edited by me: imbued! ha!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

It wouldn't surprise me if a healthy portion is becoming a dieter's size.

I don't have my OED handy, but I bet the phrase "healthy portions" came into being when the healthy folk were full bodied and robust. Now that health often means thin and fearful of good food, the meaning might be shifting.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Fabrications like 'conversate' remind me to always lick the condescension off my beer mug: Talk is good.

But beer is better.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

So, if a person's full-time job to locate quality/rare/hard-to-find ingredients, (whether from a cave or not) and ensure there is a steady supply of them to keep a restaurant going, what do you call that person?

A 'sourcerer'?

:biggrin:

What a nice word play