• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sacramento CA Restaurants

Della

Hi - I looked around and didn't find a thread on this so if I missed it - I apologize.

I am going to be in Sacramento this Monday and Tuesday for work. I am staying just off the "downtown" area (so says the person at the hotel - I just pricelined it). I have never been to Sacramento before and need to meet someone for lunch on Tuesday in the area - just a first time meeting business lunch - casual but I don't want to eat at a Red Robin - Any thoughts or suggestions for something "yummy" but not a chain? I don't really care what area it is in as it is my first appointment for Tuesday and we aren't meeting until 11:00 AM or so.

Secondly and most importantly - I need a spot for dinner Monday night. No clients - just me but I really don't know what is around Sacramento and thought I would see if there is a "don't miss" restaurant I should try to check out.

THANKS!

Della

Heheh -- maybe this is a depressing thought to some, but hey, I think it's a point of pride: The only restaurant in Sacto that truly belongs in the "don't miss" category is an old-fashioned, old-school burger joint. They don't call it cow town fer nothing... :biggrin:

NATIONWIDE, BABY!

gallery_2_1391_20080.jpg

© Jason Perlow

Secondly and most importantly - I need a spot for dinner Monday night. No clients - just me  but I really don't  know what is around Sacramento and thought I would see if there is a "don't miss" restaurant I should try to check out.

Not sure what your taste and budget is. There are many fine dining restaurants in the Sacto downtown area.

There is an "Il Fornaio" right on Capitol Mall (M Street) and 4th. Italian. I used to work in Irvine Koll Center where there is a Prego's and an Il Fornaio. Personally I prefer Prego's but Il Fornaio would be a close second.

There are a few restaurants in Old Town Sacramento by the river. I have been to the restaurant (forgot the name) onboard the Delta King. Very good cioppino. Very nice, close up view of the river. There is a Rio City Cafe (I think) featuring fine dinning and Joe's Crab Shack for casual.

There are a few Indian and Thai and Chinese restaurants along Broadway (around 16th). They are okay.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Thank you all for your tips. I ended up up spending most of the day in the car and by the time I got to my hotel I was wiped out. Ended up eating at the Memphis BBQ place off Richards Blvd right by the hotel (after a couple of free beers at the social hour at the hotel). :blink: The food was mediocre at best but I was starving and it was late. It was also just after that torential rain started up on Monday evening - how about that huh?

Anyway - the next day I met a client and he suggested the Rusty Duck since it is right by my hotel and he was seeing someone else in the neighborhood. My guess is this restaurant is popular for prom dates in the springtime. :rolleyes: It was ok - clam chowder was tasty and I had the Southwest Salad with the chipotle dressing. It was fine. Nothing to write home about but edible.

I will make sure to get to the burger joint next time I am down there -it sounds great.

THANKS AGAIN

della

Ah, Memphis BBQ, so you were by the highway, like the Red Lion or something? On the other side, you've got Monteray Bay Canners, Hungry Hunter, and the Rusty Duck. And uh, I don't know nuthen bout no prom dates but well, most people refer to the place as the Dusty Fuck. :blink::biggrin:

The only noteworthy culinary establishment in that region is -- once again -- a hamburger joint. This one's called Awful Wally's, just a few blocks down the road, at 1151 Richards Blvd. Here's a review of the place, and here's another. Wally's is a pretty eclectic and generally weird place. It's housed in some kind of an industrial building with 30-foot ceilings and various memorabilia stuck up everywhere on the walls. The food is modestly priced, and very good. Of course, in no way does it compare to Nationwide, but then again, that's a tall order. It's cheap and cheerful, and conveniently located, if you stay in the same place again.

We had an amazing dinner at the Waterboy in Sac on Sun. night. I had heard great things about this place. A big RAVE! We had been in the car for over 11 hours and we needed a break from traveling.

I started with the Mixed Baby Lettuces with House Vinaigrete and Croutons with Baked Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts. This salad was split for two us and it was wonderful and full of flavor.

I had the Fish & Shellfish Risotto wiht Saffron, Leeks, Fennel and Maine Lobster Butter. This was an outstanding entree, the clams were full of flavor. This entree was light and fun to eat. My husband opted for the Chicken Breast Au Poivre with Artichokes, Glazed Brussells Sprouts, Potato-Parsnip Puree, Fried Shallotts & Herb Jus. He loved it! (Picky eater, too!)

Our teenage daughter had the Pizzetta which had olives, feta cheese and roma tomatoes. The crust was light and homemade tasting. Our service was amazing, we left a nice tip. Our server knew we had been traveling and got our food out quickly. We loved our experience at the Waterboy and will definitely be making this one of our culinary stops when we frequently travel north to the Oregon Coast. Would love other opinions on Waterboy. Cheers! :)