• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

donk79

donk79

I would say that experimentation and record keeping is the way to go.  I have been trying to "decode" coffee brewing for a while.  I had a friend train with as a roaster for a very accomplished local roaster (Lexingtoncoffee.com) and experimentation was his encouragement.  With lighter roasts, I often use a coarser grind, but that is only my personal call.  I think it highlights the more citrusy flavors better.  My standard grind is pretty fine, though.  I use the inverted method, and one other thing that has improved my cup is letting it steep longer than I used to.  I now use 2 minutes as my standard.

donk79

donk79

I would say that experimentation and record keeping is the way to go.  I have been trying to "decode" coffee brewing for a while.  I had a friend train with as a roaster for a very accomplished local roaster (Lexingtoncoffee.com) and this was his encouragement.  With lighter roasts, I often use a coarser grind, but that is only my personal call.  I think it highlights the more citrusy flavors better.  My standard grind is pretty fine, though.  I use the inverted method, and one other thing that has improved my cup is letting it steep longer than I used to.  I now use 2 minutes as my standard.