• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Of course, yeast needs something to raise, so...

Wheat (小麦 - xiǎo mài) in China tends to be lower in gluten than most western strains, so I tend only to buy high-gluten flour (高筋粉 - gāo jīn fěn) or ‘bread flour’, (面包粉 - miàn bāo fěn).

Twenty years ago, this was mostly imported from the USA, but various trade wars, tariffs and quotas have scaled that back dramatically and China is now growing western cultivars alongside its own varieties.

I use very little flour, usually only for bread and for batters. Mostly, I buy this “goldfish*” brand, as it’s widely available.

flour.thumb.jpg.eeb015b07c4e6d864c8734a81bddf36c.jpg

Many types of flour are used here, wheat and rice flours being the most common. For a bilingual list of flours in China, see this website.

* Commonly called “goldfish” brand but the Chinese, 金龙鱼 (jīn lóng yú, literally ‘golden dragon fish’) actually means golden arowana, a similar looking species.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Of course, yeast needs something to raise, so...

Wheat (小麦 - xiǎo mài) in China tends to be lower in gluten than most western strains, so I tend only to buy high-gluten flour (高筋粉 - gāo jīn fěn) or ‘bread flour’, (面包粉 - miàn bāo fěn).

Twenty years ago, this was mostly imported from the USA, but various trade wars, tariffs and quotas have scaled that back dramatically and China is now growing western cultivars alongside its own varieties.

I use very little flour, usually only for bread and for batters. Mostly, I buy this “goldfish*” brand, as it’s widely available.

flour.thumb.jpg.eeb015b07c4e6d864c8734a81bddf36c.jpg

Many types of flour are used here, wheat and rice flours being the most common. For a bilingual list of flours in China, see this website. http://www.hawberry.net/baking-bread-china-guide-ingredients-supplies/flour-guide/

* Commonly called “goldfish” brand but the Chinese, 金龙鱼 (jīn lóng yú, literally ‘golden dragon fish’) actually means golden arowana, a similar looking species.