• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Catsup manis

Mottmott

I have a couple recipes that call for catsup manis, but I have not been able to find it in Philadelphia. OK, I've only looked a couple places. But I hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Failing that: can it be made at home? It seems as though it's a sweet? tomato-y, soyish sauce?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

There's a large Asian grocery store on Race St. near Ocean Harbor, on the same side of the street, that has it. (It says "kecap manis" on our bottle, but it's the same stuff.)

Good stuff. We just discovered it after finding out that it's the yummy sauce drizzled on top of the oyster omelet at Fatty Crab in nyc.

-dg

Thanks everyone. I'll try the store on Race as dagordon has snagged one there. I've already tried Washington Ave. Perhaps I was just overwhelmed by the miles of jars and bottles. And asking for help there didn't get me very far, either. :shock:

Here's a brand that's readily available in many (if not all) Asian markets around phildelphia.

By the way in Java Indonesia, this is the condiment that accompanies satay instead of peanut sauce.

kecap11.jpg

Kecap Manis

img1030268139.jpeg

Closeup of brand but this is the salty version (Asin vs. Manis)

Here's a brand that's readily available in many (if not all) Asian markets around phildelphia.

By the way in Java Indonesia, this is the condiment that accompanies satay instead of peanut sauce.

kecap11.jpg

Kecap Manis

img1030268139.jpeg

Closeup of brand but this is the salty version (Asin vs. Manis)

Thanks, it will be a great help to know what I'm looking for looks like. :smile: