• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best drinking '05

M.X.Hassett

Along the lines of Sam looking forward and my thread looking back on food, what drink did it for you in '05 for me there are far to many to recall, in no particular order. The final version of Brian's "The Roe" did it for me recently, so did Audrey's "Little Italy" and of course I had some killer flips from Sam over at M&H, and Phil's rum contest entry made by HIM was awesome and I honestly do not think Toby has made me ANYTHING that was not delectable. The Anistasia(spl [shit that stuff is good]) applejack old fashioned and tweaked monkey gland Chad made the other night. East Side Co. is pumping out some good drinks as is Sasha's other branch Small Branch. The Bar at MoMa has some interesting cocktails plus they are one of the only places I have come across zubrowka (the only vodka I drink just keep telling yourself it is an infussion) which means you can get them to make you a Bison sour or a Silver Shower. There is also a fellow by me in NJ from Japan doing some killer stuff with fresh juices, muddled herbs, and infussions plus he gave me a bottle of Old Raj(not my choice but impressive gift none the less) so that endeared him to me. I know I am leaving many of you out but memory lapses are one of the side effects of finding the perfect drink. On the home front the best thing I had was I beleive Dale's version of a Sazerac 50/50 rye/brandy and a number of others sadly my papers are in NJ and I am down in ATL for a spell. So for the best drink go to any of the regular "Fine Spirits and Cocktails" poster's homes or if in NY hit Pegu, any of Sasha's places, Pegu, Flatiron, Pegu, the Bar Room at MoMa, Pegu, WD-50, Pegu, Gramercy, and Pegu.

So what hit the spot for you this year? Who am I forgetting?

Edit: What spots hit the spot for you in '05 ?

Edit2: Anyone else think Angels Share fell off over the last few years?

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

i totally second the "little italy." really hit the spot (as did my visit to pegu club). actually, rye itself might be my biggest discovery of '05 (due to many of you championing it).

now that i think of it... for me, the best of '05 has to go to this forum. the people here are so knowledgable and kind. i've learned so much here and these posts have inspired a new culinary passion. it's great to know that i can pull this forum up any night and find 10 new recipes or suggestions for a gin i haven't yet tried (i'm currently trying to track down an non-blended applejack). thanks to everyone and i can't wait to learn more.

ps... that sazerac 50/50 sounds great! i'm assuming it's simply a sazerac made with 1 oz rye and 1 oz brandy... any suggestions for brands?

• 3 months later...