• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More tastes

Florida Jim

N/V Conegliano Valdobbiadene, Prosecco:

Nicely dry, nicely fruity and, for this taster, nice that it went somewhere else. One glass will do as it really hasn’t much character . . . and I have had Prosecco that do.

1990 Leoville Les Cases:

Opening the whole time it was in the glass with light herbaceous notes and plenty of elegant fruit; good balance and a long finish. Not yet at peak but lovely, nonetheless, and excellent accompaniment to grilled steak.

2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo D’Alba:

Understated, structured, good depth and an early glimpse of what good nebbiolo can be. Buy in quantity and hold.

(Aside: A look at the current wholesale prices for Giacosa products has prompted me to search for all of the older vintage wines I can afford from this producer. Most present-day prices are up at least 50 %; some designations, up 100%.)

2003 Joguet, Chinon Clos de la Dioterie:

Big, rich, worsted texture wine with lots of ‘stuff’ and very ripe . . . and yet, there’s something dead and ponderous about it; it’s hard to explain . . . I have little use for vintage assessments and I personally know and follow this vineyard . . . maybe the vintage generalizations are correct in this instance; big, alcoholic, cab. franc with little character and little that indicates it will be better than it is today. Not a bad wine but not up to standard.

2002 Tamellini, Soave Classico Anguane:

Lemon zest, almonds, musk and a peppery florality make-up the nose and flavors of this wine; bright and almost edgy in the mouth with good depth and balance; long, peppery finish. A feminine wine of character, focus and structure and a worthy bottle for the cellar. Good today with light to medium weight fare and better with a few years of age.

(Aside: Single vineyard Soave’s are not all that common and are worth looking for. My favorites are Pieropan’s, Calvarino; Anselmi’s, Foscarino; and, this wine; each showcase the garganega grape from differing terroirs and are character filled, distinctive wines with breed and finesse. They are also excellent values; all being $15 or less.)

2001 Muga, Rioja Reserva:

An obviously good wine hidden beneath a lumber yard.

2004 Cusumano, Nero d’Avola:

A medium weight, relatively simple wine that is both delicious and true to its variety . . . and without the sawdust elements of the previous wine. Nice and only $9.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim-

Is the '01 Giacosa nebbiolo his most recent release of this wine? Do you know if he releases the Valmaggiore at the same time?

Thanks.

2003 is most recent release of the regular bottling I have seen.

I do not know the schedule for the Valmaggiore but the 2003 has been released. Unfortunately, the wholesale price is $43.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Thanks. Both wines form '01 are available around here (mid atlantic) mid 20's for the Nebb d'Alba and 30 something for the Valmaggiore. I've always been hesitant to buy this because of storage at the distributor. Funny that a wine from such a famous producer would be sitting around at a distributor for a couple years. Sounds like yours were in good shape though.