• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ontario Wines

sadistick

Just took a trip with my girlfriend for a day to visit a couple of wineries in the Niagra Falls region. Only had time for 2. Visited one of the best kept secrets Niagra College Teaching winery and tasted a range of their 2003's and 2004's. Their '04 Pinot was really amazing for such a young wine and according to the lady at the wine shop, just took second place at a blind tasting...reminded me of a $60+ Burgundy, at a third of the price!

Second winery we went to was Lailey, I was contemplating going to Stratus, but after consideration and asking a few locals, they said its too overpriced for what you get, and just head on over to lailey, so we did.

Although the lady there who was pouring samples was a bit pretencious, their wines were amazing. Their Cab/Merlot blend was outstanding ($20), as was their Pinot.

All in all a great trip, love to see that the canadian reds are making good progress!

PS - Picked up some tastey ice wines and late harvest ice wine's...cant help it when you are in that area! :raz:

Cheers

Edited by sadistick (log)