• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recs in L.A. area?

podolski

podolski,

Welcome to the California forum!

If you could answer Chris's question about what area you're going to stay at in the LA area, that would help tremendously. Also, what types of cuisine are you interested in? How adventurous are you? Chinese? Thai? Japanese? Korean? Hawaiian? Armenian? Cuban? American chain restaurants? LA has many ethnic places. In the meanwhile, go ahead and click on this link to help you get started: Los Angeles Restaurants Discussion Thread Index.

Could you give us a dollar amount when you say "moderate in price"? $25 USD per person? $50? Just in case, there's the price of the meal, PLUS an 8.25% sales tax. That does NOT include gratuity or tip (usually 15% of the meal BEFORE the sales tax). I'm saying all this because I suspect this is your first time to CA and I notice you are from Malaga (Spain), correct?

If you have other culinary questions, please let us know.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

What part of L.A.. its a huge place and its much easier to reccomend stuff if we know where you will be based...

If you have a specific type of food you want to try like Mexican let us know that also...

Chris

Sorry... I'm from a small town and not very used to huge cities like LA. We're planning to be near LAX or around Orange County.... Banderas is now here in Malaga and Melanie doesn't like to be alone with me :wink:

Considering that multiculturism is a reality down there I'd prefer to taste something you can't do it outside the area....

R

Edited by podolski (log)

podolski,

Welcome to the California forum!

Muchas gracias....

If you could answer Chris's question about what area you're going to stay at in the LA area, that would help tremendously.

Please check my previous post... We're planning to be near LA international airport.

Also, what types of cuisine are you interested in? How adventurous are you? Chinese? Thai? Japanese? Korean? Hawaiian? Armenian? Cuban? American chain restaurants? LA has many ethnic places. In the meanwhile, go ahead and click on this link to help you get started: Los Angeles Restaurants Discussion Thread Index.

We don't have any ethnic preferences unless its good.... We also love wine and we're trying to eat in places with friendly wine matching with food. And if it's something unique to the LA area we'll be delighted to move around. How adventurous are you?.... :raz: Mucho, mucho

Could you give us a dollar amount when you say "moderate in price"? $25 USD per person? $50? Just in case, there's the price of the meal, PLUS an 8.25% sales tax. That does NOT include gratuity or tip (usually 15% of the meal BEFORE the sales tax). I'm saying all this because I suspect this is your first time to CA and I notice you are from Malaga (Spain), correct?

Correct... Mr Banderas aka "El Zorro de la Malagueta" is also from this area.

It's not my first time to California (I've been around a couple of times) but my previous trips were quite hectic and I was not focus on gastronomy.... 25-50$ are ok...

If you have other culinary questions, please let us know.

Muchas gracias de nuevo....

Edited by podolski (log)

I live near LAX and there are a tons of great places...Make sure you get some good tacos and one of the local stands....Acosta Taco's is pretty good, its in the 4500 blk of Imperial Hwy just about 1 mile from LAX. If you want a cheesesteak, check out Big Mike's in El Segundo just off the south runways.....make sure you get down to Hermosa or Manhattan Beach...check out Blue 32, the Rajun Cajun, the Chart House (chain but great view), Good Stuff in Hermosa....you can eat right next to the sand....man there are tons of places...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Here's a discussion thread titled Food in Venice. Mind you, that's Venice, California, located just south of the city of Santa Monica, north of LAX (Los Angeles International Airport).

In the discussion thread above, there are three restaurants that seem to be really good (just to summarize): Beechwood, American; Joe's, California French; Beacon, Pan-Asian

Were you interested in Mexican and/or Latin American cuisine? Or tapas, American-style? Wine bars? Will you have a car available to you? Many of the restaurants are concentrated around Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Melrose Ave., Beverly Blvd., etc.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Here's a discussion thread titled Food in Venice. Mind you, that's Venice, California, located just south of the city of Santa Monica, north of LAX (Los Angeles International Airport).

In the discussion thread above, there are three restaurants that seem to be really good (just to summarize): Beechwood, American; Joe's, California French; Beacon, Pan-Asian

Great...

Were you interested in Mexican and/or Latin American cuisine? Or tapas, American-style? Wine bars? Will you have a car available to you? Many of the restaurants are concentrated around Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Melrose Ave., Beverly Blvd., etc.

Tapas, American Style?. It seems interesting to me :rolleyes: . We're still considering the possibility to hire a car...

http://podolski33.blogspot.com/

ok this isnt really a restaurant, but if you are in the area on a wensday morning you should really see the farmers market in Santa monica its on ocean and arizona (free parking for two hours in any of the garages) its one of the best in the U.S. if you are into food it will be enjoyable to see the produce, granted its better in the summer, but there are plenty of decent restaurants in the area in walking distance