• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagels

Sfuffy

I typically get my bagels from South Street Bagel since they're in the neighborhood and are usually more than passable. However, the last few times I've seen a noticeable dimunition in quality and yesterday I got a bunch that were totally wrong. They were much too high for a bagel (almost roll-like in height) and when I cut into them I could immediately see why - the insides were airy and puffy, the total opposite of what a dense, chewy bagel should be.

So, I think this is a good time to start exploring my other Philly bagel options. I was raised on NY-style bagels in North Jersey and like a chewy, dense (though not dense like a rock) with a golden brown, crusty (though not crunchy) exterior.

Where can I find this (or a close facsimile) around here? (And if anyone knows where I can get tsibele pletzel (sometimes known as onion flatbread to the uninitiated) then you'll have my undying gratitude.)

The bagel in Center City and environs that most closely resembles the bagel of my youth (Watson Bagels, Chancellor Avenue, Newark) can be found at Philadelphia Bagel in the strip mall along Columbus Blvd. (Delaware) at Washington. They even have bialys on weekends! My only complaint is that they are often out of salt bagels by the time I get there. I've yet to have a better bagel in Philadelphia.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I'm still searching myself, but have yet to try the one on Washington Ave. There's a place around 40th and Walnut that claims to have H&H bagels, but they're not. People I've spoken to say that there's a great bagel place somewhere on or near Oregon Ave., but I've tasted bagels from there, and they aren't that great either. At this point, I've just taken to bringing some back whenever I'm in New York.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The bagel in Center City and environs that most closely resembles the bagel of my youth (Watson Bagels, Chancellor Avenue, Newark) can be found at Philadelphia Bagel in the strip mall along Columbus Blvd. (Delaware) at Washington. They even have bialys on weekends! My only complaint is that they are often out of salt bagels by the time I get there. I've yet to have a better bagel in Philadelphia.

What he said. The ones at Delaware Ave. & Washington are the best around except for that bagel shop in Wynnewood, Delancey Street Bagels, I think, near the Bed Bath & Beyond.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What he said. The ones at Delaware Ave. & Washington are the best around except for that bagel shop in Wynnewood, Delancey Street Bagels, I think, near the Bed Bath & Beyond.

Feh!

Rolings bagels. They're out in... I think Elkins Park. You used to be able to get them at 18th and Spruce, but no more. Chewy, crusty, odd-shaped, real NY boiled bagels that didn't feel like dinner rolls with a hole punched in them. They did a great bialy, too.

Haven't had them in years, though. Prolly need to upgrade my dentures for them. Anyone have any idea if they are available anywhere in Center City?

I typically get my bagels from South Street Bagel since they're in the neighborhood

Whaddabout Hot Bagel on S. 4th? I think they're boiled. Got bialys, too. I've always been satisfied. I'm a fan of Essa Bagel in NYC, and Hot Bagel's come pretty close.

I think it's something in the NYC water that makes 'em special.

The same thing that makes Philly cheesesteaks special, the roll, is from the water.

Same for dough from Old Forge pizza, or as was told to me by a Wilkes-Barre native and recent transplant to the area.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

What he said.  The ones at Delaware Ave. & Washington are the best around except for that bagel shop in Wynnewood, Delancey Street Bagels, I think, near the Bed Bath & Beyond.

I live near Delancey Street Bagels, but prefer NY bagels on City Ave/Haverford Ave in the strip mall behind the McDonalds (7549 Haverford Avenue 215-878-8080). I do not think they are "boiled" but IMHO they are the best in the area, and the bialis are excellent (closed Saturdays).

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I typically get my bagels from South Street Bagel since they're in the neighborhood

Whaddabout Hot Bagel on S. 4th? I think they're boiled. Got bialys, too. I've always been satisfied. I'm a fan of Essa Bagel in NYC, and Hot Bagel's come pretty close.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're talking about South Street Bagels on S. 3rd which has the "Hot Bagels" sign out front. That's where I got the disappointing bagels.

Ess-a Bagels are great too. 

I think it's something in the NYC water that makes 'em special.

I don't think it's entirely the water that contributes to NYC bagels being special. It doesn't account for the comparatively large selection of good bagel shops in North Jersey. I think it's due in large part to the common legacy of craftsmanship that's been passed down over the years - until the 1960's (with the advent of the bagel-making machine), the Bagel Bakers' Union had a firm grip over the bagel trade in NYC and parts of North Jersey. Long after the demise of the union, its former members and those who learned at their feet (or hands in this case) spread their bagel-making expertise through the NY metropolitan area.

I don't think it's entirely the water that contributes to NYC bagels being special. It doesn't account for the comparatively large selection of good bagel shops in North Jersey. I think it's due in large part to the common legacy of craftsmanship that's been passed down over the years - until the 1960's (with the advent of the bagel-making machine), the Bagel Bakers' Union had a firm grip over the bagel trade in NYC and parts of North Jersey. Long after the demise of the union, its former members and those who learned at their feet (or hands in this case) spread their bagel-making expertise through the NY metropolitan area.

Bingo. Sfuffy's got it right about the bagel-makers' union; that's why we had to travel 5 miles from Elizabeth to Newark for our Saturday night hot-from-the-oven bagels until the 1960s.

The only place that's going to come close to having a good bagel is one that still boils the bagel. Also, look for the long wooden boards on which the bagels are placed in the oven (and then flipped to bake on the other side, iirc). Another key: the smaller (less humongous, not mini) the better; this provides a higher ratio of surface to bulk. Hopefully they've added a touch of malt syrup to aid in creating the proper surface texture and sheen. A bagel factory that's largley automatated won't produce a good bagel; you still need the touch of human hands at key points in the process. Bagels don't need to be hand-shaped (though that's a plus), but they do need to be hand-tended.

Robert's Market Report

I'll add some fuel to the fire.

If only we had a real Montreal bagel...

http://www.stviateurbagel.com/index/page/s...19f935f6560e4c3

They've got the right idea in Montreal, if this bakery is representative. Looks like slightly different shape, and I imagine there would be a subtle difference in using honey rather than malt syrup in the water.

Robert's Market Report

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're talking about South Street Bagels on S. 3rd which has the "Hot Bagels" sign out front. That's where I got the disappointing bagels.

Nope, it is I who stands corrected. S. 3rd. I always thought that "Hot Bagel" was their name. Still, I've always had a pretty good bagel at that joint. Sorry to hear of the diminution in quality. Was that based on one or several visits?

Nope, it is I who stands corrected.  S. 3rd.  I always thought that "Hot Bagel" was their name.  Still, I've always had a pretty good bagel at that joint.  Sorry to hear of the diminution in quality.  Was that based on one or several visits?

It seems that a "Hot Bagel" sign is common in these parts - I passed by Philadelphia Bagel on Delaware Ave. today and noticed that "Hot Bagel" is spelled out underneath their name. Is this to somehow distinguish them from the cold bagel bakeries that have escaped my notice? :raz:

This was the first time I got a puffy bagel at South Street but I've been somewhat disappointed before with poorly shaped and somewhat underbaked bagels. (As well as the fact that they only seem to have bialies 1 out of 3 times I go there. :rolleyes: )

"Hot Bagel" signs have been around for quite a while, and not just in Phila. North Jersey and NYC, too. Anyplace where they actually make bagels. Predates the lights at Krispy Kreme.

Krispy Kreme has been around since 1937 (obviously not in Philly but in the South) and I believe started using those Hot Donuts Now signs shortly afterward. Are you sure that many Hot Bagels signs really predate that?

"Hot Bagel" signs have been around for quite a while, and not just in Phila. North Jersey and NYC, too. Anyplace where they actually make bagels. Predates the lights at Krispy Kreme.

Krispy Kreme has been around since 1937 (obviously not in Philly but in the South) and I believe started using those Hot Donuts Now signs shortly afterward. Are you sure that many Hot Bagels signs really predate that?

No. It was just something snarky to say.

Robert's Market Report

I'll add some fuel to the fire.

If only we had a real Montreal bagel...

http://www.stviateurbagel.com/index/page/s...19f935f6560e4c3

You've got to give props to any bagel bakery that offers only sesame and poppy seed bagels because they were "the only two varieties that existed over 40 years ago." No onion, garlic, or salt, let alone such atrocities as blueberry and french toast.

I'm afraid to even ask what is in a French toast bagel. Is it glazed with maple syrup or something? Oy! :shock:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

You've got to give props to any bagel bakery that offers only sesame and poppy seed bagels because they were "the only two varieties that existed over 40 years ago." No onion, garlic, or salt, let alone such atrocities as blueberry and french toast.

Forty years ago (and then some) I was enjoying salt bagels from Watson Bagels in Irvington NJ. (They had moved there from Newark). They may not have had salt bagels in Montreal, but they did in NY and NJ.

Robert's Market Report