• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purdy's Cafe in Vancouver

Zucchini Mama

I just wanted to post this interesting historical photo of Purdy's Cafe from a 1939 postcard. This looks like an old Ladies Who Lunch place!

gallery_29428_2133_199086.jpeg

The back of the postcard says: "Purdy's Cafe/Seating 150/Ultra Modern Soda Fountain. Rest Rooms and Lounge/ 100% White Help [ugh!] All Lady Chefs Serving. Breakfasts--Lunches--Dinners/Afternoon Teas with Cup Reading. After Theatre Specials. PRICES REASONABLE "

gallery_29428_2133_1068708.jpeg

Anyone have any information on this place. What is it now?

Zuke

Oops, I mean 1939. I flipped a digit.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

What a gorgeous space--in a city that is so starved for them.

Five weeks later, on September 1st, Hitler invaded Poland. Life would change, even for restaurateurs in Vancouver.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

It's sad that in the seventies and eighties mnay of these great buidlings and interiors went in the name of progress. On our recent trip to Australia it was great to see elegant old buildings and interiors still thriving and in great use as restaurants, bars, and shops. The sheer beauty and craftsmanship of these past eras really adds to the dining and shopping experience. If ever in Sydney check out the great little bistros in the QVB Queen Victoria Building or the Strand...

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Rest Rooms and Lounge/ 100% White Help [ugh!] All Lady Chefs Serving.

Wow serious? It says that right there on the postcard!

:blink:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

It's sad that in the seventies and eighties mnay of these great buidlings and interiors went in the name of progress. On our recent trip to Australia it was great to see elegant old buildings and interiors still thriving and in great use as restaurants, bars, and shops. The sheer beauty and craftsmanship of these past eras really adds to the dining and shopping experience. If ever in Sydney check out the great little bistros in the QVB Queen Victoria Building or the Strand...

Stephen

Good point, Stephen. Wouldn't we just love to have the Birk's Building back! Simultaneously, much of the neon was pulled down too--under a specific city ordinance. And the the Granville Mall, a groovy 70's experiment in urban planning, quickly sucked the life out of our main downtown thoroughfare. Shame on us.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"