• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

biscuits and gravy

duckduck

Sounds pretty good to me, handmc. I often take a traditional recipe and add to it or increase some ingredient to take it over the top.

I particularly like the idea of stock. I frequently have reduced chicken stock, 4:1, in the freezer in little jars. I am going to add that next time I make it. It should add great texture. I don't think I can go as far as onions though. :raz::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here goes, the southerners will groan, but I like it.

Brown a mix of sage and hot roll sausage, breaking them up into little bits.

In the fat throw in one chopped onion, saute until they start to show color, add flour and cook from white to blonde, add a pinch of Cayenne, Milk and whisk stock is always a nice boost but more milk to thin it out a bit is fine. I think stock gives it a better feel in addition to more flavor.

A dash of worchester, a sprinkle of fine chopped parsley stir till right thickness serve over bisquits, with a very light dust of paprika at the end for color .

Dats how I make it, Dats how I like it!

Sounds a lot like SOS to me.

Edit - That is to say that although this does indeed sound delicious, I think you've left the realm of simple "gravy" and gone over more toward "creamed sausage."

Which is also a family favorite in our house, I might add.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We always had a drippins cup on the stove growing up and I still do. My girlfriend from Oklahoma, who taught me to do biscuits her grandmamma's way, tosses a spoonful of drippins in her pan that she's going to make her biscuits in and tosses it in the oven while it's warming up, pulls it out when she's finished cutting her dough (with a drinking glass, never a cutter, of course) rolls it back and forth to coat the pan, lays her dough in and throws it back in the oven. My mother on rare occasion makes her grandpa's "greasy toast" or fried bread with it.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

We always had a drippins cup on the stove growing up and I still do. My girlfriend from Oklahoma, who taught me to do biscuits her grandmamma's way, tosses a spoonful of drippins in her pan that she's going to make her biscuits in and tosses it in the oven while it's warming up, pulls it out when she's finished cutting her dough (with a drinking glass, never a cutter, of course) rolls it back and forth to coat the pan, lays her dough in and throws it back in the oven. My mother on rare occasion makes her grandpa's "greasy toast" or fried bread with it.

Yes, that sounds about right! However, the way I was taught (back in the dark ages) was to dip the top of the biscuit in the (very hot) fat then turn it over and tuck it in next to the others.

I burnt my little fingers a bit but quickly learned to work fast with a very light touch.

Croutons browned in bacon drippings are delicious!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett