• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOB Recommendations for Monday?

Mano

A friend and his wife are coming into town on Monday and will be staying at the Hilton and getting treatment at Wills Eye. Any recommendations for a BYOB in that area?

I'd also be willing to pick them up at the hotel and drive a short distance.

Thanks kindly!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

I'm assuming you're talking about Hilton Garden Inn @ 11th and Arch.

Border of Chinatown. You could try some places in Chinatown.

But as far as BYOBs, La Boheme is the closest, but it seems they're not as good as they were since some staff jumped to Le Jardin.

My first choice would be Effie's on Pine btwn 12th and 13th.

Greek food, might be crowded, although not sure if open on Monday.

Lolita is a great place, also not sure about Monday.

Mexican-style food, known for being a bring your own tequila more than BYOB, but you can definitely bring wine.

Going east, isn't there Mandoline or Sabor on Chestnut between 2nd and 3rd? Can't remember the latest version nor do I know very much about quality. Someone else will be able to help with that.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

A friend and his wife are coming into town on Monday and will be staying at the Hilton and getting treatment at Wills Eye.  Any recommendations for a BYOB in that area?

I'd also be willing to pick them up at the hotel and drive a short distance.

Thanks kindly!

For a BYOB on a Monday, I'd try Radicchio, 4th and Wood. I think Matyson may also be open Monday, but not sure.

Thanks all for your replies. I researched the recommendations and was all set on Radiccio, with Effie's as a backup as Radiccio takes no reservations. Then, a friend who is a concierge at the Wyndham in town suggested Pesto. She called the owner, made reservations and assured me we'd be well taken care of.

So, Pesto it is. One of my New Years resolutions will be to check out the BYO's recommended here!

Pesto received a thumbs up from all four of us. Our waiter, Francesco, was attentive, entertaining and made us feel as if we were special customers. I saw him doing the same at all the tables he served. Three of us had fish, including dover sole, branzino and sea bass and the fish was cooked in foil. While I generally prefer grilled fish, I tasted the sea bass and it was excellent. My lamb chops were good, but not as flavorful and tender as I've had at other places. Appetizers were also very good and we were given a complimentary plate of herbed potatoes and carrots that were excellent. Another complimentary appetizer were canolini stuffed with ricotta and spinach.

On a rainy Monday the restaurant was fairly busy. Pesto is nicely appointed and comfortable with tables set a reasonable distance from each other. All hard surfaces make it moderately loud. Students and staff from the Restaurant School were at a nearby table and one student came over when Francesco put on a nice show when fileting the dover sole. We drank bottles of Byron chardonay and Alpha syrah, both of which were very good. Near the end of the meal Francesco graciously accepted a glass of the Alpha.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Pesto, we'll have to give it a try sometime.

Now, do we think the waiter's mom calls him Francesco?   (why am I such a cynic?)

LOL, we wondered the same thing ("He's really probably from Brooklyn"). His accent was heavy enough that I couldn't understand everything he said but I just learned on good authority that he's the real deal.

Edited by Mano (log)

Mano:

Where is Pesto? What are the prices like? In addition to being happy with the flavors, did you feel it was a good value?

Good choices on the wine! Something for everyone...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi Katie,

Pesto is on the 1900 block of Broad just south of Mifflin. Craig LaBan did a review in 4/04 and gave it two bells. Prices are in the teens for pasta made at the restaurant, to high 20's for the specials. For four of us including appetizers, entree's, one dessert and tax it came to $140.

It's a pretty good value and worth a try. For the money and the distance from my whome in central Bucks, I don't know if I'll be going very often, but we were meeting my best friend from high school and his wife who happened to be staying in town. No doubt the company and conversation added to the evening.